Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Very Veggie Pad Thai

Why hello there 2013. Yesterday, I was a little on the negative side. After my feelings purge on the blog, I saddled up on my unicorn and started to think about everything I am grateful for and how freakin' strong I am. Yes 2012, I kicked your ass. I may have almost burnt out, I may have been hit by a car, I may have been cut open, but I survived. So, I welcome you 2013 with the quest for happiness and making that little flame inside of me not just flicker, but freakin' beam.

Whew! Enough with the feelings stuff. Now on to ways I am working towards my pursuit for radiating positivity. Like I had said yesterday, I've let stress pack on a few lbs. this past year. I know one sure fire way to feel better about my outlook is to eat the best that I can, exercise, and get rid of those stupid stress pounds. Adding more veggies to your diet is an easy way to do so. Plus, doesn't the color of this dish just make you smile?


I love my new veggie spiralizer so much I could just scream. Look at how lovely and curly my girly veggie noodles are! My vision was to make a vegetarian, winterized version of my Grilled Chicken Thai Salad. I had to make a few modifications due to lack of ingredients at my local grocery store from this week's shopping list. I had originally planned on adding bean sprouts, tamarind paste or sauce, and neglected to add pad thai noodles to the list. I did have some Chinese rice noodles on hand, but if you would like to totally omit grain based noodles in this recipe you can. And, if you don't have a veggie spiralizer simply chop your veggies into matchstick or julienne style pieces. Regardless, I do not think you will be disappointed in this recipe. Start your health kick off right with this dish. It will make you feel and radiate positive energy!

Very Veggie Pad Thai

4 oz. rice noodles
1 sweet potato, spiralized or julienne
1 zucchini, spiralized or julienne
1 beet, spiralized or julienne
1 cup light coconut milk
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce or chili paste with garlic
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
Zest of one lime
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1/4 cup peanuts
1/4 cup green onions

Boil rice noodles according to package directions, drain, place in a dish, and set aside. Bring a large non-stick skillet to medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add the sweet potato and zucchini. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes or until the veggies begin to soften. Remove from heat. Place the sweet potato and zucchini in the same dish you placed the noodles in. Place the skillet back on the stove top and spray again with non-stick cooking spray. Add the beet. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes or until the beet begins to soften a little. Place the beet in a separate dish from the noodles, sweet potato, and zucchini so the beet does not stain the other veggies. In another medium sized dish, combine the coconut milk, soy sauce, ginger, sriracha, sesame oil, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, and mint together. Pour half of the mixture over the rice noodle mixture. Toss until the noodles and veggies are coated. When you are ready to plate the dish, place 1 cup of the rice noodle mixture onto your plate. Top with the beets. Drizzle on more of the sauce and garnish with peanuts and green onions. This dish can be served warm or chilled.

                   

No comments:

Post a Comment