Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sunny Saturday Menu Post

Good afternoon everyone! What a lovely Saturday it is today. I am so happy the meeting I had to voluntarily attend let out early enough to grab a quick lunch, come home, and enjoy the rest of my day. Now I am looking forward to spending the day grocery shopping and cooking my Chicken, Bacon, and Bean Burrito Bowls later this evening. I feel so productive since I had to get up at 6:00 this morning. Maybe it isn't so bad to not sleep in on a Saturday?

This week's menu is kind of eclectic. A lot of the ideas I formulated very early in the mornings Tuesday and Wednesday when I woke up at 3:00 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. I didn't want to think about school so I thought about this dear, sweet blog. Here are my insomniac induced ideas- It has been quite some time since we used up all of our leftover Sven turkey, but I am kind of craving those BBQ Smoked Turkey Enchiladas. Then I thought, wouldn't it be fun to create a vegetarian twist with some black beans? And, because I can't get enough mac'n'cheese in my life, I've come up with another make ahead spin with a cabonara style mac'n'cheese. It should be a fun week filled with recipe experimentation! Here is the rundown:

Sunday 1/27          Herb Chicken with Winter Vegetables

Monday 1/28        BBQ Black Bean & Cheese Burritos with Corn Slaw

Tuesday 1/29        Leftovers

Wednesday 1/30   Cabonara Mac'n'Cheese with Salad

Thursday 1/31       Leftovers

Friday 2/1 or         Braised Beef with Mashed Potatoes & Green Beans
Saturday 2/2

Groceries you will need:

1 lb. boneless beef short ribs
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 package center cut bacon (if you do not have any leftover from last week's menu post)
1 avocado
1 red pepper
1-2 oranges
1 large sweet potato
2 lbs. red potatoes
4 yellow or white onions
1 bulb garlic (if you do not have any from previous posts)
1 parsnip
1 bag baby carrots
1 bunch celery
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley
1 bag angel hair cut cabbage
1 bag mixed greens
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 package gluten-free wraps (such as Sandwich Petals)
1 package gluten-free elbow noodles
1 bag black beans or 1 can black beans
1 box reduced sodium chicken broth
1 box reduced sodium beef broth
1 can tomato paste (if you do not have any from previous posts)
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen peas
1 bag frozen green beans
1/2 gallon 2% milk
1 container light or fat-free sour cream
1 package shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
1 container grated Parmesan cheese
1 package 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot

Pantry items you will need:

Sherry cooking wine
Extra virgin olive oil
Granulated sugar
Corn starch
Rice wine vinegar
Ground cumin
Chili powder
Smoked paprika
Paprika
Oregano
Dried thyme

* Noteworthy tips:  I will most likely prepare both the burritos and mac'n'cheese over the weekend, cover, and store in the fridge until I am ready to bake and serve them. As always, all veggies will be washed, chopped, and stored as soon as I get home from the grocery store to save me extra time. Have a great weekend!

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment