Friday, January 4, 2013

Chicken Tomato Hot Pot

I am very proud to say, I made it to the gym on a Friday after work. I'm not sure that has ever happened during my entire career. Ever. Lately, I've been feeling a little guilty about my lack of gym attendance. But, what is one to do when you are given doctors orders not to exercise for 4-6 weeks? Last week I was finally feeling back to my old self, but knew I needed to take exercising pretty slow. So, I've just made it my goal for the last two weeks to get to the gym at least 3-4 times per week and walk. It has been just enough of a workout and I've been able to commit to it. That is pretty big. Next week, I plan to continue walking and add a little bit of gentle yoga. Good, good things my friends. Good chillaxing, positive things.

The last two evenings have been a little chilly, so I am very pleased I made this Chicken Tomato Hot Pot. In place of pasta noodles, I used whole grain brown rice. One of the hardest parts of going on a gluten-free diet is figuring out how to get whole grains into your diet since a majority of the population obtains their's from wheat based products. While some pastas claim to have used whole grains, they have been processed in some form or another. Lately, I have been trying my best to eat fewer processed foods. This dish was a pretty good recipe of unprocessed meets comfort food since it has been kind of chilly here in K.C. We were pretty happy with the results. Who doesn't love a good meatball? (I say that with my best, eh hem, my worst Italian accent.)


Chicken Tomato Hot Pot

8 oz. ground chicken
1 yellow or white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1 tablespoon Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup jarred marinara sauce
1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
1 cup whole grain brown rice
More salt and pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, onion, garlic, parsley, cornmeal, salt, and pepper with your hands. Chill for 10 minutes to let the cornmeal bind the chicken together. While the chicken mixture chills, mix the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, marinara sauce, and herbs together in a large soup pot. Bring the tomato mixture to a simmer. Add the rice to the tomato mixture. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken mixture from the fridge. Shape into balls and carefully spoon into the tomato and rice. Simmer for another 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment