Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken & Date Tagine

This recipe was so incredibly easy I could cry. Okay, not really cry, but I did a lot of multitasking while the chicken and rice simmered away in my Crock Pot. This was a good thing as I did make it to the gym for my first yoga class in months. Little did I know that this particular yoga class was a "hot" yoga class (85 degrees to be exact) and was a level II or III vinyasa class. Yoga kicked my butt a little. I needed an easy meal. It also made the kitchen smell heavenly.


Justin originally made fun of me when I said we needed to buy dates. He said, "Who are you? My grandma Dorthy?" He then proceeded to ask me while we were checking out if I needed any bridge mix or hard candies. Never a dull shopping experience with the Nickels:) Anyhow, as I said before this recipe is incredibly easy. Sweet dates simmer with whole grain brown rice, Moroccan spices, and boneless skinless chicken thighs. To freshen the dish up after cooking, I topped the dish with slivered almonds and cilantro. My Slow Cooker Chicken & Date Tagine will surely warm you up on a chilly winter night.

Slow Cooker Chicken & Date Tagine
adapted from Williams Sonoma One Pot of the Day

1 cup whole grain brown rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dates, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup slivered almonds
Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
Salt & pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid. Top with almonds and cilantro before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment