Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chicken with Roasted Tomato Sauce over Zucchini

Guess what? I have a recipe that uses more veggie noodles! Yes, I just can't stop making zucchini noodles with my Christmas gadget. They are just so pretty and a great alternative to grain noodles. I get giddy every time I make them. Guess what else? The chicken and sauce simmered away in my Crock Pot. I first bought the ripest tomatoes I could find in the grocery store. I used cocktail tomatoes. Cocktail tomatoes are a little bigger than a cherry tomato, but not as big as a regular tomato. I then heated my oven to 350, cut the tomatoes in half, and roasted them for an hour to intensify the tomato flavor. Roasted tomatoes are so tasty in sauces, salads, sandwiches, dips, or even all by themselves. I love them when tomatoes are not in season and I want that summer tomato taste.


Slow roasted tomatoes simmer away with lean chicken breast, garlic, onion, and herbs. Use as a pasta sauce or with zucchini noodles for a satisfying, healthy meal you can feel good about.

Chicken with Roasted Tomato Sauce over Zucchini

1 cup chicken broth
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 lb. roasted tomatoes
3 tablespoon tomato paste
1 lb. chicken breast, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 large zucchini, spiralized or sliced

Place the chicken broth, onion, garlic, roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken, herbs, salt, and pepper into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the cooker and set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add the zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes or until the zucchini begins to soften. Remove from heat. Top and serve with the chicken and roasted tomato sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment