Tuesday, January 29, 2013

BBQ Black Bean & Cheese Burritos

The Bear recently complained that my "meatless Mondays" were no fun because it typically means "meatless Monday and Tuesday. This is due to the fact that I usually serve leftovers on Tuesday nights. I simply replied that meatless Mondays are saving us some money. Saving money always makes my husband happy. Then he tried these burritos.


Sure they are not nearly as earth shattering as the BBQ Smoked Turkey Enchiladas I made back in November. Those are pretty hard to beat and as soon as I can get Justin to smoke another turkey, I will be on it like blue bonnet. For now, I've got black beans to work with. To my husband's surprise, my BBQ Black Bean & Cheese Burritos were great for a "meatless Monday" (and Tuesday) meal. 

These burritos are stuffed with the perfect amount of cheese and a smoky bean combination. In place of traditional flour tortillas, I used brown rice and flax seed tortillas to take the gluten out and leave the nutrition in. If you are looking for a vegetarian meal you can easily make ahead, you may want to try these burritos!

BBQ Black Bean & Cheese Burritos

1 yellow or white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
2 cups (one can) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese
6 gluten-free wraps (such as Sandwich Petals)

Spray a 9' x 9' casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until the onion begins to turn translucent in color. Add the garlic, beans, water, paprika, cumin, and BBQ sauce. Cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken. Remove from heat. With a potato masher or the back of a large spook, mash some of the bean mixture and stir to thicken. Set aside.

On a microwave safe plate, heat your wraps for 30-40 seconds or until they are pliable. Fill one tortilla with 1/2 cup of the bean mixture and 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Place seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Sprinkle the tops of the burritos with the remaining cheese. At this point you can cover and store until you are ready to bake them. When you are ready to bake them, let the dish stand at room temperature for 10 minutes while the oven preheats at 350 degrees. Then, bake in the oven uncovered for 20 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt and bubble on the top.

* Noteworthy tips: To make the Corn Slaw you can click on the words for the link. Also, I used dried black beans that I soaked over night. Then, I boiled the beans for 20 minutes to soften the beans. I've been using bagged beans because they were cheaper than canned beans at the grocery store. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment