Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tempeh Stir-Fry with Almond Sauce

Once upon a time, Rachel Ray swept the world with her 30 minute meals. Lately, I've noticed that people are trying to break that record with now 20 or even 15 minute meals. It kind of makes me laugh a little.

Okay, enough of my thoughts on time in the kitchen. This little recipe uses an ingredient I have been afraid to use for a long time- tempeh. After having some kitchen losses and never quite grasping how to work with tofu, I didn't even want to mess with its cousin tempeh. Well, I was wrong in thinking this. Tempeh is soooo much easier to work with. Being it is firmer, it does not crumble or fall apart as easily as tofu. The texture is amazing too! I almost had Justin fooled until he looked at the menu on the fridge and asked, "What the heck is tempeh? You're not trying to mess with tofu again are you?" To that I said, "It's just tempeh. Not tofu and don't worry about it." Ha ha ha!!


You can expect more tempeh recipes to come my friends. I heart tempeh. And back to my earlier rant, this meal only took me between 15-20 minutes to make. How's that for a meatless Monday?

Tempeh Stir-Fry with Almond Sauce
inspired by Weight Watchers

Nonstick cooking spray
1 16 oz. bag frozen stir-fry vegetables
1 8 oz. package tempeh, cut into cubes
3 tablespoon gluten-free, reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon smooth almond butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add the vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until thawed. Add the tempeh. Cook another 5 minutes or until heated through. Meanwhile, in a small dish whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, almond butter, brown sugar, sriracha sauce, garlic and ginger until smooth. Pour over the vegetables and tempeh. Cook for another 3 minutes or until the sauce begins to slightly thicken. This would be great over rice noodles or hot brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment