Sunday, February 23, 2014

Simple Beginnings Menu Post

What a weekend it has been! My sisters and mom all made it to town to celebrate February and March birthdays. We had so much fun catching up and shopping together. The weather was outstanding! I even made it out Friday afternoon for a good 3 mile run before everyone arrived. While it is supposed to be pretty chilly this week, I was able to purchase some good winter gear on sale that will be perfect for chilly running conditions. It was all fashionably approved by my family fashionistas:).

Since we were all enjoying spending time together, I did not plan the menu post until around noon today. I was really lacking in the creativity department as I started to feel the Sunday slump approaching. It always happens when you have such a great weekend with the ones you love. Thus, I chose to turn this little feeling into something positive with my menu. I needed to keep it simple, so I brought out some old favorites I used to cook when I was trying to win the Bear over at the beginning of our relationship. I was not a good cook, so these are a couple of the recipes that managed to win the Bear over. I needed very simple recipes that did not require a lot of ingredients or time to prepare. Back then I was not a gluten-free girl. Now that I have a better knowledge base with gluten-free cooking and convenience it just seemed perfect. I thought it would be fun to recreate some oldies and make them gluten-free. The Bear was pretty pleased to say the least. I too started to feel a little spark when I pulled out the old recipes. The memories just made me smile. These are two of the recipes I made over and over during the simple beginnings of our relationship. Tonight we will be keeping it pretty simple with grilled chicken, veggies, and potatoes that we purchased from our grocery store in hopes that we are not out of grill gas. Something we used to do a lot when I didn't know what else to do. If we are out of grill gas it might be Domino's delivery. Otherwise, here is the plan for Monday through Thursday this week:

Monday 2/24          Gluten-Free Duree Mac'n'Cheese with Steamed Broccoli and Carrots

Tuesday 2/25          Leftovers

Wednesday 2/26     Baked Chicken and Bean Burritos with Salad

Thursday 2/27         Leftovers

I am not sure what next weekend will hold, but I hope these two recipes will be something you can use again and again like we have. Here are a few of the things you will need to make this all happen:

1 lb. ground chicken breast
1 bag baby carrots
1 bag pre-cut broccoli
1 bag of your favorite salad blend
1 package gluten-free tortillas (I used Udi's)
1 can fat-free refried beans
1 can diced green chilies
1 package taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso it is gluten-free)
1 box gluten-free penne pasta (I bought Barila this time because I had a coupon. We'll see about this)
1 half gallon skim milk
1 brick 2% Velveeta cheese
1 8 oz. package 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 package shredded 2% cheddar cheese

Pantry items you will need:

Nonstick cooking spray
Dried chopped onion
Salt
Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment