Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Turkey Cocoa Chili

You might think I'm a little crazy for serving chili this early in the season. It did get up to the lower 80's today, but I was too excited by the cooler temperatures while menu planning over the weekend. You may even think I'm even crazier for sharing my secret ingredient in my chili. Not that I argue my craziness, but I can justify it once you try this recipe!


My chili is packed with lean and mean ingredients, but not too spicy. The garam masala and cocoa powder add a warmth and depth that offsets the tangy tomatoes. Just trust me on this one! It is so good!

Turkey Coco Chili

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 chopped yellow or white onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 30 oz. can chili beans, in chili gravy (do not drain)
1 29 oz. can tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz. can diced chili ready tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon garam masala

Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until the onions become translucent (about 3-4 minutes). Add the turkey. Cook and stir to loosen the meat and the turkey begins to brown. Add the green peppers. Stir and cook until the peppers begin to soften. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until incorporated. Bring the chili up to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment