Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday Menu Post

I feel so domestic today! We've been up cleaning the garage. Next on the to-do list is to finish up grocery shopping, a trip to Home Depot, and clean the house. Hopefully we can get everything done before it is 108 degrees so we can relax a little this evening before dinner.

Tonight I am making my dad's burgers. If you've read my blog before, you know that my husband l-o-v-e-s burgers. I am not the biggest fan. I will gladly opt for a chicken, turkey, or veggie burger anytime; however, my dad made some burgers over the 4th of July that I can't get off my mind. No, I'm not pregnant:) They were just that good. I will be serving the burgers with a classic potato salad and creamed cucumbers. In hopes that everything turns out as tasty as my dad's, I'm looking forward to sharing tomorrow.

If you're as busy as we are, you are probably wondering what is in store as far as our menu goes for the week. It is crazy hot and not looking to cool down anytime soon. I also have a conference to attend all week that will take up a majority of each day, so I had to get a little creative with the menu this week. This will require some prep time in the kitchen this weekend so things are ready to go for the week. We will be enjoying a summer twist on traditional grilled cheese and tomato soup with a spicy gazpacho and cheese quesadillas. Next, summer squash gets dressed up in a light vinaigrette served with chicken. I do plan on using the stove top to cook the quesadillas and chicken. Otherwise I'm not planning on heating the kitchen in any way, shape, or form. The menu might look a little short this week as we will be heading out of town for our Lake of the Ozarks vacation. I'm keeping it cool and simple this week. Here is the rundown:

Sunday 7/22         Papa Chris Burgers, Potato Salad, & Creamed Cucumbers (left-overs from Saturday)

Monday 7/23       Spicy Gazpacho with Cheese Quesadillas

Tuesday 7/24       Left-overs

Wednesday 7/25 Sauteed Chicken Breast with Summer Squash & Potato Salad

Thursday 7/26      Left-overs

Friday 7/27          Lake of the Ozarks Fun!!

Groceries you will need:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. tomatoes
1 lb. potatoes (small Yukon gold or red)
1 cucumber
1 red bell pepper
1-2 zucchini (depending on how large they are)
1-2 yellow squash (depending on how large they are)
1 shallot
1 avocado
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
1 lime
1 bottle tomato juice
1 bag corn tortillas
1 bag shredded Parmesan cheese or one small chunk
1 bag 2% shredded cheddar cheese
Butter
1 bottle white wine
1 bag pine nuts (about 1/4 cup)

Pantry items you will need:

I'm usually telling you to buy a head of garlic; however, if you have extra cloves lying around you will need one clove of garlic.
Dijon mustard
Olive oil
White wine vinegar
Honey
Salt & pepper

Enjoy your Saturday! Stay cool and hydrated if you are experiencing this horrendous, never ending heat wave!





No comments:

Post a Comment