Sunday, April 22, 2012

Angry Birds


Just when you think you can have a nice, quiet dinner at home...your living room window gets pelted by some angry bird.

Mr. Angry was already at it again at 6:30 this morning. He continues this all day. This started Thursday.  I think he is a cute little bird.  But, he is relentless I tell you!  My neighbor said it was because he is protecting his nest and thinks his reflection is another male. I'm worried someone, the bird, or something, my window, is going to get hurt.

Despite the bird, we did have a nice meal at home last night. I made a beautiful roasted chicken, creamy risotto, and roasted asparagus. The chicken was simply prepared.  I took lemon peels and 3 cloves garlic and stuffed them inside the chicken. Then, I whisked together 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon honey, and one tablespoon olive oil that I poured all over the chicken. A sprinkle of salt and pepper and popped it in the oven at 375 for 30 minutes breast side down before turning the bird and roasting until my thermometer read 165 degrees.

For the risotto, I sautéed one minced shallot in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon olive oil until it was soft and translucent. Then, I poured in 1 1/2 cups arborio rice and cooked the rice, stirring frequently, until the rice began to become slightly brown. While this was occurring, in another saucepan I brought 4 cups chicken broth to a gentle simmer. When the rice was lightly browned, I poured in 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and 1/2 cup chicken broth.

The trick to a good risotto requires a little baby sitting. You have to stir it constantly. Continuous stirring allows for the rice to release the starch. When the first round of liquids have become almost completely absorbed, continue stirring and adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time. When you have reached your last 1/2 cup of broth, add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel (yellow part only) and stir until combined. Trust me, it is worth the extra attention.

Anyway, does anyone have any good tips on how to stop this bird from dive bombing into the window? I would appreciate any tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment