Monday, January 6, 2014

Vegetarian Gyros

I hope everyone is staying warm! I don't remember it getting this cold since I was a kid living in northern Iowa. I managed to stay warm by wearing thermal Under Armor underneath thermal running clothes. Thank goodness it was a workday and I could get away with wearing comfortable clothing today. It was perfect since some of us got together for a little sweat sesh later in the afternoon. I had not tried any of Jillian Michael's workouts. Aside from feeling awkwardly uncoordinated, it was not too shabby.

Good news is tomorrow the temps will be on a gentle rise with a high of 38 degrees. Still a bit chilly, but above freezing. With the help of my thermal gear, I plan to finally make it out for my first walk jog of the year!! What does this all mean for you? Well, the meatless Monday entree is actually getting posted on Monday instead of Tuesday. I tried using what little daylight there was to snap a couple of pictures. I'm posting both the Bear's gyro and my gyro wrap because his turned out a little prettier than mine. The wrap started to fall apart a little as I arranged it on top of the greens. Whether or not, this meal is an amazingly healthy alternative to traditional gyros if you have a hankering for some Greek food. We actually had this meal last week as well. The Bear declared it worthy of going on the blog as I think he is becoming proud to be the male spokes model for meatless Monday meals. He was sure to remind me to tell you all that this is a husband approved recipe:)

Here is the Bear's pita pocket...



And here is my wrap...


My mouth is watering just looking at it!

Vegetarian Gyros

For the gyro "meat":
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/2 cup dried lentils
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon thyme

For the tzatziki sauce:
1 cup light or fat free sour cream
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup cucumber, skin peeled, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt

Other ingredients you will need:
1/2 cup cucumber, skinned and sliced
1-2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
4 gluten-free wraps or pita pockets

Place all ingredients for the gyro "meat" in a small stock pot. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Place in a food processor. Pulse until the lentils are the consistency of ground meat. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, feta, cucumber, green onion, and salt until combine. Set aside. Heat the pita pockets or wraps according to package directions. Top with the lentil mixture, tzatziki sauce, cucumber slices, and tomato slices and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment