Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year Menu Post

Wow! I know I probably say this every year, but I cannot believe it is now 2014! We are somewhat happy to have 2013 behind us and are excited to see what this year will bring. This year will be a little different as the Bear and I have decided to make 2014 the year of no resolutions. Plain and simple. No resolutions. Most of our goals we are already successfully progressing towards. It does not make sense to start from scratch, rearrange our lives, map out the course, etc. I am only planning on supplementing the progress I am already making with my Weight Watchers plan. I would like to start running again. The goal is to run a 10k by May. Do you like how that rhymes? Catchy isn't it? Yes, a 10k by May. Running brings me peace. The challenge will be strengthening my knees and getting back into running condition. This will take a little time, but I feel really good about all of this.

So, let's talk menu shall we? Even though I did not track my points for a week, I did practice moderation while celebrating over the holidays. I still enjoyed 3 prime rib dinners, but did not over-indulge to the degree I have in the past. It was more about savoring every morsel and time spent with family. I was happy when we got home from our travels and stepped on the scale to see that I actually lost 2 more pounds. Since I feel that I have a pretty good thing going, I'm going to keep on going. This week's menu has some exciting new global entrees as well as some comforting winter classics. While the pantry list might look a little lengthy, you will be utilizing your spice rack to add flavor packed punches to your dishes without the need for adding much fat. Here is the rundown:


  • Sunday 1/5         Moroccan Meatball Soup with GF French Bread
  • Monday 1/6       Vegetarian Gyros with Greek Salad
  • Tuesday 1/7       Leftovers
  • Wednesday 1/8  Chicken Rice Casserole with Green Beans
  • Thursday 1/9      Leftovers
  • Friday 1/10        Chicken Fingers with Bacon Honey Mustard and Broccoli
Some items you will need to make this all happen are:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. ground chicken
1 package center cut bacon
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch kale
1 bag romaine lettuce
1 bunch celery
1 bag baby carrots
1 yellow onion
1 bulb garlic
1 zucchini
1 cucumber
2-3 roma tomatoes
1-2 lemons
2 boxes reduced sodium chicken stock
1 loaf gluten-free French bread
1 bag gluten-free wraps or pita pockets
1 box brown rice
1 box dried quinoa (or 1/2 cup from the bulk section)
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 bag dried lentils
1 bag frozen cubed butternut squash
1 bag frozen green beans
1 bag frozen broccoli florets
2 containers light or fat-free sour cream
1 bag shredded 2% cheddar cheese
1 container feta cheese
1 carton liquid egg whites

Pantry items you will need include:

Nonstick cooking spray
Gluten-free bread crumbs
Dijon mustard
Honey
Cayenne pepper
Chili powder
Curry powder
Ground cumin
Dried dill
Garam masala
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Oregano
Paprika
Thyme 
Salt and pepper

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. I look forward to posting all next week!





No comments:

Post a Comment