Sunday, October 13, 2013

Short & Sweet Menu Post

This week is a pretty short menu week in the Nickel household. I have parent-teacher conferences and will be putting my extra hours in at work. The Bear's schedule has freed up some since softball is over for the year, but with me being out, there won't be much happening in the kitchen. Being we are still recovering emotionally and myself physically, it is okay. But, I still have two great, healing dinners planned that will nourish body and soul until things go somewhat back to normal.

This week's Sunday Soup, Roasted Red Pepper, is one I've wanted to try making myself for a few years now, but never really got around to it. I also took the liberty of using a few shortcuts to save myself a little time. Next on the agenda, is a copycat version of Starbucks' Veggie Brown Rice Bowl. I noticed their new items popping up on the food scene over the summer and thought other than for convenience, why couldn't I do it myself? So, I took the liberty of making my own homemade version. Not to mention that the leftovers make for great lunches and leftover dinners throughout this busy week. Here is the rundown:

Sunday 10/13          Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Spinach Artichoke Bread

Monday 10/14         Copycat Starbucks' Veggie Brown Rice Bowl

Tuesday 10/15         Leftovers

Wednesday 10/16-    Leftover Soup & Sandwiches
Friday 10/17

Here is what you will need:

Sandwich fixings (deli meat, gluten-free bread, etc.)
1 package precut and wash broccoli florets
1 package roasted baby beets (I am using Melissa's already prepared beets)
1 package shredded red cabbage
1 bunch kale
1 bulb garlic
1 large russet potato
1 onion
2-3 lemons
1 bag or box brown rice
1 jar tahini paste
1 can artichoke hearts
1 16 oz. jar roasted red peppers
1 can diced tomatoes
2 boxes low sodium, gluten-free chicken broth
1 bag frozen cauliflower
1 bag frozen edamame
1 bag frozen cubed butternut squash
1 box frozen spinach
1 container light or fat free sour cream
1 box 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 container grated Parmesan cheese

Pantry items you will need:

Extra virgin coconut oil
Extra virgin olive oil
Sesame oil
Gluten-free soy sauce
Sriracha
Garlic powder
Dried Italian herbs
Dried thyme
Salt and pepper



No comments:

Post a Comment