Sunday, October 6, 2013

Focus on Health Menu Post

Good Sunday morning to you all! I hope today finds you all enjoying the chilly fall weather. We are very much enjoying lots of cozy time at home. Today is our sixth wedding anniversary. Due to some untimely and very personal circumstances, we don't have much planned; but, we did enjoy a nice dinner at one of our favorite farm to table restaurants Renee Kelly's Harvest. I am not really ready to discuss what is going on, but we are hanging in there. We have great friends, family, health, and each other to make it through this very tough time.

When the going gets tough, I tend to sit back and reflect on what I can control and how I can emotionally best handle the situation. One thing I like to take control of is my health and what I am putting into my body. I know crappy food is only going to make me feel like crap. Now more than ever I need to fuel my body and treat it like a shining thorough bread unicorn. While I am not sure what is going to happen this week, I know and am thankful for having a meal plan that will nourish us. Since it is the beginning of fall, I am introducing my new Sunday Soup series. This week's soup- Better Butternut Squash Soup. Comfort in a bowl that we can keep on hand in case I am out of commission to cook. I also have some lovely chicken recipes on hand that can be prepared in a pinch, are healthy, but ever so comforting. I'm not sure what will happen this week, but at least I am armed with a little plan. Here is the rundown:

Sunday 10/6          Better Butternut Squash Soup with Crispy Kale and Garlic Toasts

Monday 10/7         Leftovers

Tuesday 10/8         Rosemary Balsamic Chicken with Broccoli and Roasted Potatoes

Wednesday 10/9    Leftovers

Thursday 10/10      Baked Chicken Meatballs with Peperonata 

Friday 10/11 or      Pork Tenderloin with Savory Cherry Sauce, Green Beans, and Quinoa Pilaf
Saturday 10/12

Here is what you will need:

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 lb. ground chicken breast
1 lb. pork tenderloin
1 package center cut bacon
1 bag baby carrots
1 bunch celery
2 yellow or white onions
2 shallots
1 bulb garlic
1 lb. baby potatoes
1 bunch rosemary
1 bunch thyme
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley
1 box reduced sodium chicken broth
1 jar roasted red peppers
1 jar capers
1 can light coconut milk
1 bag gluten-free dinner rolls
1 bag or box quinoa
1 bag or container dry roasted almonds
1 bag dried cherries
1 bag frozen broccoli
1 bag frozen green beans
1 box frozen pureed butternut squash or winter squash
1 bag frozen dark cherries
1 container liquid egg whites
1 bag mozzarella sticks

Pantry items you will need:

Extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin coconut oil
Apple cider vinegar
Red wine vinegar
Corn meal
Ketchup
Dried bay leaves
Ground cloves
Curry powder
Ground ginger
Salt and pepper

Posts may be a little sporadic this week, but I will try my best to get most recipes posted. I thank you in advance for your understanding and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment