Monday, March 25, 2013

Drop 10 Challenge- Spinach Quinoa Breakfast Bake To Go!

Happy Monday! It is not very often that I say that. Monday is not usually my favorite day of the week, but this one was not so bad. I think being uber prepared really helped. Knowing that I have things ready to go eases some of the anxiety I get Sunday night and Monday morning. Does anyone else experience this?

What really helps is having a plan. While planning and preparing are the most difficult, the investment saves more time in the end because everything is ready to go. Drop 10 has provided me with some of the blue prints for success, but it is up to me to make it all gluten-free for my health and follow through if I want to reap the benefits of this challenge in the end. This week, I thought it would be helpful to give you all an idea of how I put everything together.

Meal #1- Breakfast, the most important meal of the day!


Pictured above is my spin on Self's Fried Egg Over Quinoa. The original recipe was for one meal and in my opinion needed a little flavor boost. I like to cook in bulk so I have everything prepared to grab-and-go throughout the week. I use Mason jars not only as a cooking vessel and portable container, but also for added portion control. Serve with a grapefruit and you've got a complete powerhouse of a meal. Here is how I made mine:

Spinach-Quinoa Breakfast Bake
Makes 5 servings

2 cups cooked quinoa
1 package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess liquid
1 tablespoon dried minced onion, reconstituted in 1 tablespoon hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
5 large eggs

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray 5 2 cup Mason jars with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Mix the quinoa, spinach, onion, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a large bowl until combine. Fill each jar with a heaping 1/2 cup measurement. Top the quinoa mixture with 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese and an egg. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs are done to your desire. Remove from the oven. Cool the jars completely before covering with a lid and storing. When you are ready to eat, remove the lid from the jar. Microwave for 1 minute and enjoy!

* Noteworthy information: According to My Fitness Pal, each serving roughly has 187 calories, 7.5 grams of fat, 17.1 carbs (2.9 fiber, .2 sugars), and 12.3 grams of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment