Monday, November 12, 2012

Spiced Pumpkin Soup

I am so excited to share this soup recipe with you! I'm not sure when or who started the "meatless Mondays" movement, but it has been a fun way to add more vegetarian meals to our weekly menu. This recipe is not only vegetarian, but one that you could use as a starter for your Thanksgiving feast next week. Unlike my labor intensive Pumpkin Soup recipe I posted early in the year, I chose to take a few shortcuts by using canned pureed pumpkin. Which is also on sale at many groceries stores this week. I still have not one, but three pumpkins this year for decoration, but will most likely shy away from any major culinary projects involving my decor:)



Inspired by Gourmet magazine, I revamped an old recipe from there 2002 collection. I lightened the soup up by using a can of light unsweetened coconut milk and took out any added sugars. To make the recipe totally vegetarian if not vegan, I used extra virgin coconut oil in place of butter. The result, I creamy, silky comforting soup.

Spiced Pumpkin Soup
inspired by Gourmet magazine

1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
2 cans pureed pumpkin
1 can light unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground all spice
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Heat a large soup pot over medium low heat. Melt the coconut oil. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook another 3-4 minutes or until the carrots begin to soften. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer on low to medium low heat for 20-25 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. If you have an immersion blender, you can puree the soup right away while it is hot. If you are using a blender or food process, let the soup cool for 15-20 minutes before blending or processing. Blend or process the soup until it is smooth. Reheat before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment