Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Easy Taco Salad

I have to say, I am really glad we had this meal tonight. It has been one of those days where I barely made it to work in time. I had meetings all morning, some teaching to do, and students to test. Then, I barely made it home in time to meet with the lender who is refinancing our home. It has just been one of those days. I don't know about you, but I am ready for some kind of break. Fortunately, I had to take the day off for my pre-operation appointment. Tuesday is the big day. In some ways it has been good to be so busy at work because it allows for little time to think about the big day. Emotionally, however, everything is starting to wear on me. I just keep saying to myself, "This to shall pass. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger. God would not give you anything you could not handle."

Business forces me to really prioritize my time and organize my life. Hence, a lot of the preparation I do for the upkeep of this little blog is over the weekend. I chopped the lettuce, veggies, and cooked the meat on Sunday. That way all I would have to do is make the dressing and re-heat the meat for this evening. If you do not have the advantage of prepping ahead of time, this meal can be prepared in 30-40 minutes. Either way, it is a quick, easy, and tasty weeknight meal.



Easy Taco Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing

For the Cilantro Lime Dressing:

1 package gluten-free ranch dressing mix
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Zest of one lime

For the salad:

1 yellow or white onion, chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef (I used 93% lean)
1 can diced tomatoes with chilies (such as Rotel), drained
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 package of your favorite taco seasoning (I Penzy's)
1 bag chopped romaine lettuce
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
Tortilla chips

For the dressing: Mix all ingredients together in a blender. Pour into a resealable container and set aside.

For the salad: Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions begin to soften. Add the ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally to crumble the beef until the beef is browned. Add the drained tomatoes and black beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture begins to heat through. Add the taco seasoning and stir until the meat mixture is evenly coated in the seasoning. Remove from heat and set aside. Serve the meat over the romaine lettuce. Top with tomatoes, tortilla chips, and cilantro lime dressing.



No comments:

Post a Comment