Tuesday, November 27, 2012

BBQ Smoked Turkey Enchiladas

I dance, I dance, I dance! Around the Mexican hat! I dance, I dance, I dance and that's the end of that. Ole! Actually, I am not really dancing. I probably will not be up for dancing for quite some time. Spending a couple hours in the kitchen on my up day, Sunday, sort of did me in on the activity level. But, I'm glad I conquered it because I am now officially back to work. So, it was nice to be able to come home, relax, and pop my lovely leftover Sven enchiladas into the oven this evening. Not much to have to accomplish, but a little side of Cilantro Lime Slaw, turning on the oven, placing Sven enchiladas into said oven, waiting in my armchair propped up with my heating pad and pillows, and removing the enchiladas from the oven. Really, not too bad. Look at these little beauts!



Yes, Sven came to another use this evening in my BBQ Smoked Turkey Enchiladas. They were wicked easy to assemble and wicked tasty to enjoy. If you do not have smoked turkey, any kind of smoked meat will do just fine.

BBQ Smoked Turkey Enchiladas

4 cups chopped smoked turkey
8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
2 cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese, divided
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
18 small corn tortillas
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 20 oz. can mild enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso because it is gluten-free)
1 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9' x 13' inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the turkey, cream cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese, and garlic powder together. Set aside. Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil to the pot. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes or until the onion begins to caramelize and turn light brown. Add the enchilada sauce and BBQ sauce. Stir until combine and remove from heat. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of your baking dish. Set aside. Place your tortillas on a large plate. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the tortillas are pliable enough to handle. Fill the one tortilla at a time with 2-3 tablespoons of the turkey mixture. Roll and place seam side down into the baking dish. Repeat with each tortilla. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of the cheese. Bake another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble and melt in the middle. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cilantro over the enchiladas.

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment