Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spinach Artichoke Dip

I know there are a lot of spinach artichoke dips out there. My recipe is probably not that original, but it is damn good if I do say so myself. When I first started going gluten-free, I primarily stuck to fruit, salads, variations on vegetable sides, and very simply prepared proteins. Knowing that I could not survive this way for long, I started to do my research on how I could recreate old favorites while maintaining my new dietary lifestyle. This dip was one of the first appetizer items I created. I had typically enjoyed spinach artichoke dip in restaurants with pita chips. I replaced the pita chips with tortilla chips and triple checked the cream cheese and sour cream for listed food starches. Voila! I found something I could enjoy! Here is my lightened up, gluten-free version that won't leave you feeling like you missed a thing.


Whenever I make this dip, I find myself making it over and over again because I just can't get enough of it. I even doubled the recipe last week when we had to bring treats for Bosses' Day. Unfortunately, most of the dip was gone before I could enjoy some myself:) Never a bad sign when you bring office treats and there are no leftovers! I knew I had to make more for the man friendly dry wall lunch. If there wasn't the little bit that I reserved for a recipe later this week, I would be left with no leftovers again. This recipe will not disappoint!

Spinach Artichoke Dip

8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese (I use Hy-Vee brand)
16 oz. light sour cream (I use Market Pantry)
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained & roughly chopped
1 10 oz. package chopped frozen spinach, thawed & drained
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

In a large mixing bowl, beat all ingredients together with an electric mixer until combined. At this point, you can cover and store until you are ready to serve. You can serve chilled or heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the dip begins to bubble.

Remember to reserve a cup or two of the dip for my Spinach Artichoke Linguine with Grilled Chicken later this week. Enjoy the lovely fall day!

No comments:

Post a Comment