Monday, April 22, 2013

Meatless Monday Sloppy Lenny's

Yup. It's meatless Monday. You know what that means. If not, here is the typical convo between me and the Bear.  "So uh, what are we having tonight?" asks the Bear. "Well, it's a spin off a 'sloppy Joe'," I reply. "Well, uh, I see it's Monday. So, is there any meat?" the Bear inquires. "You'll just have to see for yourself. But, remember it is meatless Monday," I say, yes I say, I say. "I think that is a round about way of answering your questions, Bear."


We communicate. We really do. I just have to be a little more nonchalant about my meatless Monday plans. These were really good. Really, really good. Maybe even kid friendly. Perfectly cooked lentils and walnuts, which have been soaked overnight, provide a "meaty" base for a not as sloppy Joe. But, it's not Joe who we are talking about. They are lentils, hence the "Lenny's." Get it?

Sloppy Lenny's

1 yellow or white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, soaked in water overnight
1 cup cooked lentils
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (check to make sure it is gluten-free)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 gluten-free buns

Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add the onion and green pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent in color. Add the walnuts and lentils. Stir to combine. Cook another 5 minutes or until heated through. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir and remove from heat. Cool for 5 minutes. Add to a food processor or blender. Briefly process or blend until the consistency of ground meat. Serve 1/2 cup of the mixture over buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment