Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How to Use Those Herb Mixtures

I don't know about you, but I tend to get a lot of spice and herb mixtures as gifts.  Don't get me wrong.  I use a lot of spices and herbs in my cooking.  I even tend to dabble in concocting my own spice rubs and herb mixtures.  When birthdays or holidays role around, people tend to think that pre-made concoctions are the perfect gift for the culinary recipient.  That's cool; however, we find it often difficult to use the whole jar before the mixture grows old and awry.  Recently, my dad asked me if there was any sort of spice mixture I was excited about.  After watching an episode of Giadda that day, I replied, "Herbes de Province."  My doting father bought me a jar for my stocking and low and behold I now have a jar of Herbes de Province.  Now I'm thinking, "What the heck am I supposed to do with a whole jar?!" 

This is when I get creative.  While it has been a very warm winter, only my sage has managed to survive.  Justin and I both are scratching at the urge to get grilling again, but we are missing the flavor punch fresh herbs add to marinades and summer dishes.  Hebes de Province offer all of the fresh flavors of summer time herbs you are looking for without the summer herb garden glory.  The weather is heating up and you know you want to use your grill my friend.  So, gear up for my simple marinade and add a tablespoon of Herbes de Province and marinate one pound of chicken or pork.  Then serve this as your side and get double duty out of your fancy spice mixture you got for a gift:

Potato & Pepper Packets with Herbes de Province

1 pound uncooked red potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced (about 3-4 cups)
2 red peppers cut into thin strips (about 2 cups)
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or juice of one lemon
1 crushed or finely minced garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Herbs de Province

Preheat grill.  Tear off four 12 inch long pieces of aluminum foil.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray.

In a small dish, whisk together the olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and herbs until combined.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine all veggies and pour the herb mixture over the veg.  Toss until mixed and coated.  Spread 1 1/2 cups of the veggie mixture in the middle of the foil.  Fold the foil corners to form a packet and fold to make a tight seal.

Grill packets, turning a few times, until the potatoes are tender and beginning to brown.  This should take roughly 20-30 minutes depending on the temperature of your grill.  Here are some visual steps to aid in the folding:


No comments:

Post a Comment