Friday, July 8, 2011

Cheesecake Ice Cream

  Say hello to my new little friend. 

Growing up, my family always enjoyed homemade ice cream.  We didn't have one of the old fashioned, rock salt kind of ice cream makers, but we did have a stellar little guy similar to the one I bought on Wednesday.  I had long forgotten about those days until a couple of weeks ago when the girls at Ladies Lunch were talking about making their own ice cream.  This little guy happened to be on sale for $26 at Target this week.  I wouldn't really call it an impulse buy because I told Justin that I really wanted one and had been thinking about it.  Maybe just a lucky buy?  I don't know.  I was so excited and had to share my recipe inspired by Food & Wine magazine.  The recipe on the website is called "Once-a-Year Cheesecake Ice Cream."  The original ingredients their recipe called for were a little on the richer side, so I decided to challenge myself by lightening it up a little.  So here goes!

Sara's Lightened Up Cheesecake Ice Cream

1 8 oz. block of light cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup light sour cream
1 cup fat-free half and half
Pinch of Salt
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1.  In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese at medium speed until soft and smooth.  Gradually add the sugar, beating well until combined.  Beat in the sour cream and then the half and half.  Add the salt, lemon, juice, and vanilla and beat until silky and smooth.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to ensure the mixture is cold.

2.  Poor mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the directions for your machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.  If you like your ice cream a bit softer, you can serve immediately.  If not transfer the ice cream to a container to harden up.  Enjoy!!






No comments:

Post a Comment