Saturday, March 22, 2014

Thinking Spring Menu Post

Isn't hard to believe that it is the last week of March?! This month has really flown by! Since I took last week off due to traveling and spring break, I wanted to get one final March menu post ready for you all. I know everyone is thinking spring despite the cold temperatures throughout most of the country. When I think about spring foods I think about chicken, asparagus, and light recipes that bring outdoor grilling back into the picture. This week features all of these wonderful spring foods. Since it is still a bit chilly, I'm starting off the week with one of my favorite soups- Chicken Tortilla Soup. Cooked in the Crock Pot, this simple, flavorful recipe makes a bumper crop perfect for lunch throughout the week. Monday and Tuesday I have a new quesadilla recipe to share. Thanks to Udi's plain tortillas, cheesy quesadillas are reappearing in my life again. Oh how I've missed you! Welcome back! Midweek, chicken and asparagus will pare together in a quick stir fry. The perfect fast dinner for making in the middle of a busy week. Finally, in hopes the weather cooperates we hope to grill some chicken burgers inspired by Grameracy Tap in Des Moines, Iowa. I enjoyed this meal last Friday night before the Leprechaun Chase. I think it worked so, I hope to recreate this meal again to fuel up before for the Diva Dash next week:)! Here is the official plan:

Sunday 3/23            Chicken Tortilla Soup with Duree Family Cheesebread

Monday 3/24          Cheesy Bacon, Kale, and Artichoke Quesadillas with Roasted Tomatoes and Zucchini

Tuesday 3/25          Leftovers

Wednesday 3/26     Chicken & Asparagus Stir Fry with Kelp Noodles

Thursday 3/27         Leftovers

Friday 3/28             Chicken Burgers with Cranberry-Jalapeno Mayo and Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Here is approximately what you will need to make this all happen:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. lean ground chicken breast or already made chicken burgers
1 package center cut bacon
1 bunch asparagus
1 bunch kale
1 bunch cilantro
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
2 zucchini
1 bulb garlic
2 yellow or white onions
1 red onion (optional for burger night)
1 package sliced mushrooms
2-4 sweet potatoes (depending on size)
1-2 avocados (depending on size)
1 15 oz. can quartered artichoke hearts
1 15 oz. can black beans
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 4 cup boxes reduced sodium chicken broth (I like to use Hy-Vee or Costco brand)
1 package kelp noodles (if you cannot find kelp noodles, rice noodles will work too)
1 package gluten-free tortillas (I love Udi's)
1 package gluten-free ciabatta rolls
1 bag tortilla chips
1 bag frozen corn
1 8 oz. box 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 bag shredded fat-free or reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
Butter (I am in love with Land O Lakes light butter right now)

Pantry items you will need:

Nonstick cooking spray
Extra virgin olive oil
Honey
Soy Sauce (Hy-Vee's soy sauce is gluten free. I also love San-J Organic Tamari)
Ground ginger powder
Garlic powder
Cayenne pepper
Black pepper
Salt

Enjoy your weekend! I look forward to posting throughout the week! Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment