Monday, March 10, 2014

Gluten-Free Tomato & Basil Flatbreads

This doesn't happen very much, but I've got a major case of the "Mondays." What's really throwing me off is that they still haven't gone away even with the beautiful weather and a good run. I think it's just the crummy sleep and time change that have thrown me off my good mood train. Hopefully I get some good rest tonight. Tomorrow will be better.

Enough whining for now. No one likes a whiny cry baby blog post! No way! How about an easy meal that I feel crazy even calling a recipe? This is making me smile!


I must say this photo makes this meal look pretty elegant. The idea for these tomato and basil flatbreads all came about over the weekend while I was enjoying Minskey's pizza. I noticed that they had changed up their regular gluten-free crust and managed to get it so crispy thin I don't think anyone would ever know there was no gluten in it. The spring weather also got me craving fresh basil. I can't wait to get my herbs started for the summer! So I thought, "How can I get a super thin crust and some of those summer time flavors into an easy weeknight pizza?" The answer, Udi's plain tortillas! Genius! This recipe is so easy your kids could help out in making this dinner. Doesn't that make Monday night a little less Mondayish?

Gluten-Free Tomato and Basil Flatbreads

Nonstick cooking spray
4 gluten-free plain tortillas such as Udi's (if you are not concerned with gluten, I'm sure regular flour tortillas would work too)
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes in onion and garlic
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional if you do not want to add any heat)
1 cup shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While the oven preheats, heat the tomatoes over medium-high heat in a small sauce pan for 10 minutes or until the liquid begins to thicken. Stir in the red pepper flakes. Remove from heat and set aside. Spray two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Depending on the size of your cookie sheets, you should be able to arrange two flat tortillas on each sheet. Top the tortillas with the tomato sauce. Sprinkle each tortilla with 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the edges begin to crisp and the cheese is bubbly. Remove from the oven. Top with the fresh basil before cutting and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment