Sunday, March 2, 2014

Gluten-Free Baked Chicken & Bean Burritos

I don't know about you, but back when I was in college my friends and I sort of had a thing for those enormous gas station burritos. It's a good thing we were able to walk from the bar to the nearest gas station no matter where I lived as I am not one to promote getting behind the wheel after a few too many libations. Walking also burned some of those calories we consumed from said libations and burritos.  Those burritos managed to prevent any hangover. Okay, well sometimes;)

Looking back, I really can't believe I even ate those things. Not to say they weren't tasty, but I probably would not put any of that crap in my body now. Back when I was becoming more health conscious, it was hard to come up with recipes that the Bear would eat. I too still had cravings for some of the things I used to indulge in, but knew eating some of those foods would not make me feel my best. So, I had to find healthy substitutes. Like these Baked Chicken and Bean Burritos.


I know this probably looks pretty fancy, but it's not. Sure I dressed this little guy up a bit for the picture. Otherwise you would not think it was so impressive. These burritos are SUPER simple to make. I always prep all of the ingredients and assemble the burritos a day or two in advance, store them in the fridge, and then bake them when I'm ready. You could even make these a freezer friendly dish. How did I make this huge serving healthier? I substituted flour tortillas for Udi's gluten-free tortillas. Instead of the chubby inducing full fat cheese, I simply swapped it out for shredded 2% cheddar. Top with your favorite salsa and a little light sour cream and you've got a simple husband approved meal.

Gluten-Free Baked Chicken and Bean Burritos
inspired by Weight Watchers

Nonstick cooking spray
1 lb. ground chicken breast
1 package of your favorite gluten-free taco seasoning
1 15 oz. can fat-free refried beans
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
1 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese, divided
6 gluten-free tortillas
Salsa, light sour cream, and diced green onion for topping (optional)

Spray an 8-inch by 12-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. Heat a medium sized nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground chicken. Stir to break apart and cook for 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the taco seasoning. Turn of the heat and combine the beans, green chiles, and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Set aside. Heat tortillas according to package directions. I usually place mine on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for 1 minute to make the tortillas more pliable. After your tortillas are heated, place 3/4 cup of the bean mixture onto the middle of the tortilla. Fold in the sides and roll to seal in the bean mixture. Place seam side down into the casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. At this point you can cover and store the burritos until you are ready to bake and serve. When you are ready to bake and serve, uncover the dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the burritos and place in the oven. Set the oven at 375 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the burritos begin to turn lightly brown around the edges and the cheese is melted. Top with salsa, sour cream, and diced green onion if you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment