Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Gluten Free Cheesy Potatoes

I'm not sure if I've ever made breakfast for dinner since I've been married to the Bear. Actually, I don't think I've ever made breakfast for dinner at all since I moved out of my parents' house. It's not that I don't like it. I love breakfast. It's just that I don't ever think about it for dinner. Normally I'm thinking about making dinner things. For some odd reason while planning the menu this week, I thought it would be a fun use of leftovers for my cheesy potatoes.


Growing up, my mom and dad called cheesy potatoes "South Pacific Potatoes." I'm not really sure why. Maybe it had something to do with the railroad? When I hear South Pacific, I picture pineapples, soy sauce, and rice. Anyone else at any potluck I've ever been to called them "Party Potatoes" or just plain old "Cheesy Potatoes." Regardless, these potatoes typically are made with a can of condensed soup, cheese, shredded potatoes, butter, and crunched up cereal. They are best consumed the day of making them unless you don't mind soggy cereal the next day. To make my cheesy potatoes gluten free, I took the cereal and condensed soup out of the equation. This allowed me to scale back on the calories too. If you are looking for a different, gluten free version or want to enjoy the leftovers without the soggy cereal, you should give them a try!

Gluten Free Cheesy Potatoes

1 30 oz. bag frozen shredded potatoes or hash brown potatoes
1 16 oz. container fat-free or light sour cream
1 8 oz. brick 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
2 cups shredded 2% cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt (or less if you prefer)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, sour cream, cream cheese, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, the dried minced onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until thoroughly combined. Spread the mixture evenly into your casserole dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese. Cover with a piece of foil. Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the foil. Bake for another 30 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble in the middle and brown around the edges. Remove from the oven. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment