Thursday, March 13, 2014

Slow Cooker Pub Chicken

We are feeling spring today in Kansas City! I saw green grass sprouting for the first time since October. The sun has been shining for the last 2 days. The Big 12 tournament is taking place as we speak. I am a little superstitious about saying too many positive things about Iowa State as consistency is a bit of a problem. So, all I will say is it's a good day to be a Cyclone! Also, I experienced one of the best days in my teaching career even though I was not actually teaching. Today, the high school teacher of the year and I had the honor of hosting our district visit for other regional finalists. It went amazingly well thanks to teamwork and the help from the entire Turner community. We put a lot of hard work and planning into all of this and it truly paid off! Thank you to all of Turner USD 202 staff, administration, and community! We could not have done this without you!

Now, on to the meal that saved me this week thanks to my slow cooker. Like I said earlier in the week, it has been cray-cray! I originally read about this recipe on my fellow blogging friend's website nHerShoes. Bobbi McCormick had impressed her friends with a beer and chicken recipe that I was somewhat envious of, but knew I probably shouldn't enjoy since I don't drink a lot of regular beer due to the gluten. But then, I got a little creative. We were craving burgers on Sunday. I wanted to make things a little healthier. So, I asked the Bear what he loved about his favorite burger. He said he loved Swiss cheese, bacon, onions, and a cold beer on the side. The light bulb went off in my head and thus a gluten-free version of this dish was born.


All of the flavors of your favorite pub burger delivered to you in one healthy slow cooker recipe. I think that's about all I need to say.

Slow Cooker Pub Chicken
inspired by Bobbi McCormick

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup gluten-free beer (such as Omission)
1/2 cup gluten-free chicken broth
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 slices 2% Swiss cheese
4 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled

Place the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together the beer, chicken broth, mustard, dried onion, and salt. Pour over the chicken. Turn the chicken to coat. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Uncover and top with cheese and bacon. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt and serve.

I hope you all have an amazing weekend! I look forward to posting all about the 10k and spring break shenanigans when I get home! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment