Sunday, August 25, 2013

Keepin' it Chill Menu Post

I apologize in advance for any typos. The Bear and I volunteered ourselves to dog sit Lunch Box this weekend. Lunch Box, also known as L.B., Lunchy, and Lunch Dog, is my youngest sister, Amy's, dog. He is a little guy and loves to sit in my lap when I type. He also loves walks around the block, chasing squirrels in our yard, doggy kisses, and snuggling between the sheet and the comforter in our bed. So for all you single lady dogs out there...just kidding:) The whole experience is seriously making us want to get a little dog of our own. It's nice to have something little to take care of that just wants to love you. I think the Bear might be a little jealous since Lunch is choosing my lap over his though. Just sayin'.

Have you downloaded the new A Nickel's Worth of News app to your smart phone yet? If not, you should! You can download it here at ANWON.appguppy.com. ANWON, in case you haven't figured it out, is the acronym for A Nickel's Worth of News that I had to create to make the web name for downloading the app. I got to thinking this morning that it will make your lives much easier because you can now take any weekly menu post and grocery list right to the store. So convenient! So very cool! I'm going to be testing it out myself with this week's menu. Which, by the way, is a very chill menu post since we are in the middle of this summer's biggest heat wave. This week, I've changed my Sunday Salad greens through the use of baby kale. Baby kale is smaller and more tender than its older brother. I plan on serving it along with quinoa and Parmesan cheese with a light vinaigrette as a side to some grilled chicken. Meatless Monday this week includes a light and summery vegetable sandwich with my favorite Herb Goat Cheese Spread. I'm also bringing back my Slow Cooker Chinese Pork and Noodle Bowls this week since I don't feel like heating up the entire kitchen and have the remaining pork tenderloin to use up from my brother-in-law Todd. Finally, what better way to celebrate the first end of summer weekend, Labor Day, with a burger? It should be a laid back, easy week of late summer eats in the Nickel household. Here is the rundown:

Sunday 8/25            Parmesan Kale and Quinoa Salad with Grilled Chicken

Monday 8/26           Late Summer Veggie Sandwiches with Herb Goat Cheese Spread and Chips

Tuesday 8/27           Leftovers

Wednesday 8/28     Slow Cooker Chinese Pork and Noodle Bowls with Broccoli

Thursday 8/29          Leftovers

Friday 8/30 or          Cheddar and Pickle Spiked Chicken Burgers with Ranch Salad and Fries
Saturday 8/31

Here is what you will need for the week:

1-2 lbs. pork tenderloin
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. ground chicken breast
1 bag baby carrots
1-2 zucchini
1-2 yellow squash or yellow zucchini
1-2 tomatoes
1 cucumber
1 lime
2 shallots
1 bulb garlic
1-inch knob ginger root
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch basil
1 bunch green onions
1 head romaine lettuce
1 bag washed and cut baby kale
1 loaf gluten-free whole grain bread
1 bag gluten-free whole grain hamburger buns
1 bag brown rice spaghetti noodles
1 container grated Parmesan cheese
1 jar roasted red peppers
1 jar dill pickles
1 container dry roasted peanuts
1 bag chips
1 bag frozen broccoli florets
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen French fries
1 pint buttermilk
4 oz. goat cheese or light cream cheese
1 bag cubed 2% cheddar cheese
1 carton liquid egg whites

Pantry items you will need:

Gluten-free soy sauce
Mayonnaise
Ketchup
Dijon mustard
Brown sugar
Champagne or white wine vinegar
Rice wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Sesame oil
Garlic powder
Seasoning salt (such as Penzy's 4S or Lawery's)
Salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment