Thursday, May 17, 2012

Smoky Bean & Soyrizo Burritos

Even though I teach at an elementary school, I still get the song "School's Out for Summer" by Alice Cooper stuck in my head on the last day of every school year.  Today was our last day with students, which is WAY earlier than normal.  To explain, the district built in three snow days.  This was the only year I think I've worked there and we had NO snow days.  The teachers still have to work until May 22nd, but we are now officially sans kiddos!!!!  I will miss a majority of them, but am happy to finish out one of my roughest school years to date.  This year was in no way, shape, or form a cake walk.  That being said, I still did not ever give up and I'm not quitting.  I plan to renew, revitalize, and restore myself over the summer.  I plan to continue working on this little blog, go on many therapeutic runs, and regularly attend yoga class to nourish my body and soul.  The Bear and I might actually go on a vacation this year if I can pull him away from his work:)  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Now, on to tonight's recipe.  This is a recipe that can be adapted to a vegan lifestyle or for meat eaters.  I went with the vegetarian route by using soyrizo.  I've never used chorizo (the meaty friend) or soyrizo (the veggie friend) before in my cooking.  Soyrizo seemed a lot healthier and was on sale, so I went with it.  I got the idea from an old turkey-bean burrito Weight Watchers recipe and another white bean chili recipe from Cooking Light.  The combo turned out great!  The spices add a lot of depth and color.  You won't miss the meat at all!



Smoky Bean & Soyrizo Burritos
Adapted from Weight Watchers & Cooking Light

2 cans great norther beans (or any other soft white bean), rinsed and drained
1 link soyrizo, casing removed
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dried bay leaf
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 large gluten-free tortillas or regular flour tortillas 
Lettuce, sour cream, cheese, chopped green onions to garnish

Heat the first 14 ingredients (to the tortillas) together over low heat in a large pot, stirring occasionally so the beans and soyrizo do not burn for 20-30 minutes.    Remove from heat.  Remove and discard the bay leaf.  Cool the bean mixture for 15-20 minutes.  This can be done a day or two in advanced and stored in the fridge until you are ready to assemble and bake your burritos.

While the beans cool, if you are not making them in advance, pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.  Coat a large baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  To assemble your burritos, place 1/2 cup of the bean filling onto one tortilla and wrap and roll together.  Place in the baking dish.  Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.  Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the burritos start to turn lightly brown.  Garnish with cheese, sour cream, green onions, and lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment