Friday, May 11, 2012

Day Off Menu Post

This weekend is a very special weekend for my husband.  After five years, he is finally graduating with his master's degree in civil engineering from the University of Kansas.  I am so proud of him.  When we first met, he had been working on his undergraduate degree for quite some time and never would have said he would go back for a master's.  Then he entered the work force.  He was hired by the City of Overland Park. His passion for engineering grew through many positive role models in the public works department.  Four years ago, he obtained his professional engineer's license and now will have a master's degree.  He truly loves his job and continues to put his best foot forward everyday.  I have to say again, I am so proud of you Bear!  I love you!!

Due to the many family members rolling into town for the graduation ceremony, I chose to take the day off and get the house in order.  It is also giving me a little bit of time to put together an exciting menu for next week!  One of my friends recently started dabbling with a vegan diet.  To support my childhood friend, Beth, I've put together a few recipes which are already vegetarian and could be adapted to vegan cuisine.  And, to also appease my hubby, I had to put a little meat on the menu:)  I am taking one of our favorite bar appetizers and creating a healthy, mouthwatering meatloaf.  This week adapts to healthy lifestyles, gluten-free living, and provides creativity for any specialized diet. 

Sunday 5/13        Tofu-Tomato Pesto with Penne

Monday 5/14       Jalapeno Popper Meatloaf Muffins with Ranch Salad

Tuesday 5/15       Left-overs

Wednesday 5/16  Smoky Bean & Soyrizo Burritos

Thursday 5/17      Left-overs

Friday 5/18 or      Tofu-Tomato Pesto & Goat Cheese Pizza
Saturday 5/19

Groceries you will need:

Fresh basil (enough for 1 cup)
1 bag salad greens
1 bag spinach
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
1 bunch green onions
1 large or 2 small lemons
2 zucchini
1 cucumber
2 cartons mushrooms
2 shallots
2 red peppers (or one jar roasted red peppers, it is sometimes cheaper)
2 jalapeno peppers
1 head garlic
1 18 oz. box firm tofu
12 oz. soyrizo
1 pound lean ground beef
2 cans great northern beans, or any other white bean
1 can black beans
1 can tomato paste
1 package gluten-free wraps (I will be using teft flour wraps)
1 package gluten-free pizza crust mix (we will be using Bob's Red Mill)
1 box gluten-free penne pasta
8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 canister grated Parmesan cheese (or 1/2 cup nutritional yeast to substitute for vegan diet)
1 pint buttermilk
1 container fat free sour cream
1 package 2% cheddar cheese
4-8 oz. goat cheese
1 package frozen corn

Pantry items you will need:

Olive oil
Apple cider vinegar
Mayonnaise (I use Hellman's reduced-fat olive oil mayo)
Brown sugar
Salt
Pepper
Bay leaf
Dried or fresh parsley (I have some growing in my herb garden)
Dried oregano
Dried thyme
Ground cumin
Smoked paprika
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Dried or fresh chives (I have chives growing in my herb garden)

I hope this is posted early enough for everyone to use!  Now that life is finally slowing down a little I hope to be a little more timely in my scheduled posts.  Have a great weekend!  Pictures of graduation to come:)

No comments:

Post a Comment