Monday, August 4, 2008

Is this Heaven?

I went back to Iowa this weekend sans Justin. I am having trouble uploading the images, but will try again tomorrow and post them. They are really a treat. This is my favorite time to visit Iowa despite the fact it is wicked hot and humid. Friday evening consisted of chilling and catching up with my sister, Erin. Saturday I woke up early to visit my mother. We headed to the Farmer's Market in downtown Des Moines. For those of you who do not live in Iowa, it is the ultimate experience. I have always said anything is cause for celebration in Iowa if meat is served on a stick. The Des Moines Farmer's Market consists of streets literally packed to every corner with organic produce, items for your garden, art, and food vendors. If you ever get a chance to visit, I highly suggest it. Really, I don't think there is anything like it unless you visit an open market in New York City or some foreign country. Later that day, I traveled back to Ames, State Center, and back to Ames. We had dinner with my dad and Brenda (my stepmom). They just bought a lovely new home located on a golf course in State Center. We ate some fantastic sweet corn, had a chipping contest to see who could get the closest to the 10th green, and chatted around their fire pit. While it sounds cliche, the whole weekend left me wondering...is this heaven? No, it is Iowa.

1 comment:

  1. I think it sounds like a wonderful weekend. I've never been to the Farmer's market in Des Moines, but I'd like to go someday. They have the most terrible corn shipped here from who knows where...

    ReplyDelete