Sunday, February 5, 2012

I Love Tacos

I have this Tiffany's necklace that has T & Co. engraved on it.  I got the necklace while I was in Vegas with my friend Sam for a girls weekend.  It was my first time really gambling.  The entire trip I was so stingy about my money and finally got the nerve to play a little video Black Jack on the machines.  We were in Caesar's Palace and I was feelin' pretty lucky.  I won hand after hand.  When things weren't looking good, Sam would tell me to just cash out and try another machine.  By the end of the night, I won $250!  Since it was money I didn't plan on having in my pocket anyway, Sam and I went to Tiffany's and I bought the necklace.  

Later that summer, I wore the necklace out to a well known Mexican restaurant here in Kansas City, Manny's.  I always get their chicken tacos.  As I was singing, literally singing, my praise about how much I love tacos, my friend said, "Do you have Taco engraved on your necklace you love tacos so much?" 

The answer is no, but I do love 'em.  It's pretty hard to screw up a taco and they typically do not disappoint.  Normally, they are deep fried and dripping with flavor.  I have a lighter version that isn't dripping with oil, but rather juicy cilantro-lime slaw.  Here is my favorite recipe to make at home.


Chicken Tacos

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bag angel hair slaw
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
4 thinly sliced green onions
1/8 teaspoon grated lime rind
Juice of one lime
1/4 cup light mayonnaise (I am digging Hellman's olive oil mayo right now)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Avocado, sliced
Corn Tortillas

Place sliced chicken breast into a large Ziplock bag.  In a small dish, combine cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir until combine.  Shake spice mixture onto the chicken, seal the bag, and shake until the spices evenly coat all of the chicken. 

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Spray with non-stick spray and add the chicken.  Cook for 3-5 minutes per side.  While the chicken is cooking, pour the angel hair slaw into a large bowl.  Add the cilantro and green onions.  In another small dish, whisk together the lime juice, lime rind, mayo, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.  Drizzle over the coleslaw and stir until combine.  Let set for 10 minutes, then stir again as the juice will begin to break down the cabbage and the mixture will not be as dry.

Set a medium sized skillet or griddle over medium high heat.  If you are using a skillet you will only be able to heat the tortillas one or two at a time.  If you have a pancake griddle you can heat several at a time.  Place corn tortillas onto the skillet or griddle.  Heat the tortilla(s) until they begin to fluff a little, then flip and heat another minute or so.  Remove from heat with a spatula.  Fill with the chicken, avocado, and slaw.  For an added burst of flavor you can squeeze a little lime juice over the top.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment