Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wheeeeeeeee!



  This morning, Justin and I decided to try out the espresso maker my mom bought us for Christmas.  After one cup, Justin started clearing out the basement for future work on the man cave today.  I am working on the blog.  Wheeeeeee!  Maybe we would be this productive every weekend if we started our mornings with fresh espresso.



To recap last night's meal, the Spicy Chicken Sausage Ragu over polenta, which was on last week's menu, I simply browned 1/4 of a tube of Isernio's Chicken Sausage in a skillet, added 6 chopped portabella mushrooms, and 1 cup marinara sauce.  While the sauce was heating through, I made my polenta.  I actually just used corn meal, as it is basically the same as polenta.  It just isn't ground as fine and is a little more budget friendly.  I brought 2 cups of chicken stock up to a boil, whisked in 1/2 cup corn meal.  Stirring constantly, lower your heat to low or medium low.  When the mixture begins to thicken, you can switch your utensils from a whisk to a spoon.  Stir until desired consistency.  I like mine to be about the thickness of oatmeal.  This should make about 2 cups of polenta.  Divide the polenta between two bowls and top with the ragu.  If I would have had some Parmesan cheese, I would have topped with a little freshly grated parm.  This meal is so comforting.

Finally, in case some of you might be utilizing my weekly menu posts and prefer to do your grocery shopping over the weekends, here is the starting line up for this week:

Sunday, 1/14  Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Wraps, Sweet Potato Fries, & Salad (my chicken will be topped over a bed of salad)

Monday, 1/15 Left-overs

Tuesday, 1/16 Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Bread

Wednesday, 1/17 Left-overs

Thursday, 1/18 Spicy Cashew Chicken Stir Fry with Brown Rice

Friday, 1/19 or  Steaks w/ Roasted Red Skinned Potatoes & Green Beans
Saturday, 1/20

For your grocery list you will need:

8 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 steaks, your choice (we are using fillet Mignon)
4 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 pound red skinned potatoes
1 medium sized yellow onion
1 head garlic
2 large carrots, or 1 bag baby carrots (I usually buy baby carrots to cook with and munch on)
1 bag celery
1 bag salad
Red chili paste
1 can water chestnuts
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 bottle buffalo wing such (I use Cookie's sold at Hy-Vee)
1 box reduced sodium chicken broth
1 box brown rice
1 container of cashews
1 loaf fresh bread
Milk
1 bag 2% cheddar cheese
1 brick 2% Velveeta cheese
1 bag frozen green beans
1 bag frozen cauliflower
Your favorite whole grain tortilla wrap

Pantry items you will need for this week include:
Brown sugar
Reduced sodium soy sauce
Corn starch

Hope your weekend is going well!  I am off to finish cleaning my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment