Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Simple Parmesan Dip

  I'm guessing some of you might be trying to add more veggies to your diet.  As the saying goes, "Strive for five!"  If you are not a raw vegetable fan, this can be tough.  Salads get old and who wants to eat plain carrots and celery with no dip?  Not me!  Back when I was in college at Iowa State, I took a nutrition class.  For extra credit we could take the Strive for 5 challenge.  While some did not take the challenge very seriously, I took it as an opportunity to change some of my eating habits.  Back then I was on a beer and bagel diet with the occasional salad, apple, or banana that might have been on hand in my sorority house.  I was finally living in an apartment, on my own, and had to cook for myself when I took the class.  This was an important time in my life and I took the challenge on.  Fruits and vegetables quickly became a primary staple in my life.  I really had to get creative with my preparation because I did not want to get bored and fail the challenge.  Too get the most nutritional value bang for my buck, I ate (and still do) a lot of raw vegetables with my lunch.  And, I became a master at making my own dips.  Dips make everything fun!

The above dip is one of the most simple dips I have ever made.  My Grandma Duree used to serve this dip at every family function.  I have entertained and brought this dip to many parties and always am asked for the recipe.  The only problem with grandma recipes is that they are never documented.  It is always a "pinch of this" or "well, I just add enough to make whatever taste good."  So, you might need to tweak this recipe to your palate.  I will warn you though, it contains a lot of garlic.  Vampires beware!

Parmesan Dip (inspired by Allene Duree)

1/2 cup light mayonnaise (I use Hellman's.  It is hands down the best)
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2-3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, more if you like the kick

Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl.  You can add more or less of either Parmesan cheese or garlic.  Serve with any fresh vegetable.  It is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment