Saturday, January 28, 2012

Menu Plans

 
  I'm not being lazy this week by just photographing the weekly menu and posting it on the blog; although, it is saving me a little time.  Really, I just wanted to show you all my cute Valentine's Day themed paper.  I love seasonal magnetic paper pads!  I wish I had one for every holiday. 

This week's menu was inspired by an odd craving for lean proteins.  I think it is my body's way of healing and telling me what it needs.  After my visit to the doctor for a follow up on my back and neck after the car accident last week, I am now on two different types of muscle relaxers and an anti-inflammatory pill.  One muscle relaxer is for the morning and afternoon.  The other is for night.  This is to help with the tension and muscle spasms.  The anti-inflammatory medication is to help with any swelling.  Today is my first day taking the new meds.  So far, I'm a little drowsy, but I can feel it helping.

The doctor also wants me to go to a physical therapist.  I have an appointment on Thursday.  While I want to do what is best for my body, I'm a little disappointed in the Kansas "No Fault" laws.  Because it was an auto accident, I can't use my regular health insurance.  As far as my car insurance, I have to pay everything health and injury related out of pocket, send in the receipts, and then pray to God that either my insurance or the little chica's insurance fully reimburses me.  I guess this is where the insurance thing is beginning to suck.  I am trying to remain patient and positive.  Planning this week's menu helped me remain positive, so let's discuss...

Sunday we will be enjoying a light dinner served with a side of quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) and roasted veg.  Justin is not the biggest fan of fish, so we are going to experiment with our smoker.  Monday and Tuesday will be a taste of Greece with chicken gyros and Greek salad.  I am on a quest to find some gluten-free pita bread, otherwise my gyro may be served as a salad topper on the Greek salad.  Wednesday and Thursday, will be a make-ahead casserole packed with hearty white beans and turkey sausage.  Finally, either Friday or Saturday we will dine casually on pecan crusted chicken, baked sweet potatoes, and roasted broccoli. 

Here is the grocery list rundown:

Bananas
Broccoli
Zucchini
Eggplant
Tomatoes
Cucumber
1 bag yellow onions (because I'm out and it is cheaper to buy them in bulk)
1 head garlic
Sweet potatoes
Kale (for a minestrone soup I will be making for my lunches this week)
Romaine lettuce
Apples
1 bag lemons
Kalamata olives
2 cans chickpeas
1 bag white beans
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 can pumpkin
Pecans
Slivered almonds
Pumpkin pie spice (the pumpkin and spice are for my breakfast recipe)
Stevia
Non-fat plain Greek Yogurt
Parmesan cheese
Boneless, skinless chicken breast (I am buying a bag in bulk, as it is generally cheaper)
Turkey kielbasa sausage
Pita bread (I will be on the hunt for a gluten-free version)

Pantry items you will need or can purchase if you do not have them:
Dried dill weed
Dried thyme
Dried oregano
Bay leaves
Red pepper flakes
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Brown sugar
Quinoa

For my breakfasts this week, I am trying a new sweet potato & pumpkin parfait idea from the magazine my gym publishes. I will be blending the pumpkin and roasted sweet potatoes into a puree and then topping it with stevia sweetened Greek yogurt and toasted slivered almonds.  For lunch, I'm still on my kale kick and thought making my own minestrone soup sounded good.  I will be serving the soup along side sliced apples and a peanut butter dip.  I am pretty pumped!

No comments:

Post a Comment