Thursday, December 12, 2013

Crock Pot Tikka Masala with Quinoa

I swear I should not be aloud to blog until I've checked all spellings. I will admit I called this recipe "Slow Cooker Tikki Masala." I had a feeling I was maybe wrong, but posted my hodgepodge menu post anyway because I just wanted to get it out there to share with you all. Next time, I will further check my sources. Better yet, next week will be a little less exotic.

Regardless of spellings, this recipe is really simple and really good. I was even able to mix most of the recipe together, place it in a Ziplock bag, and freeze it until I was ready to cook in my slow cooker. When I came home, I took a look. Things were looking good. The comments on the original recipe said it was even better served over rice. I had no rice. I had quinoa. Being I post what I make, you will get the quinoa version with an extra dollop of fat-free sour cream to show you what all is in this Indian inspired dish. The spices will make you feel warm and toasty.



Slow Cooker Tikka Masal with Quinoa
adapted from Weight Watchers
makes 6 hearty servings, 5 points per serving

1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 clove minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
2 tablespoons grated ginger root
2 tablespoons garam masala
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
4 4 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup dried quinoa
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Place crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, ginger, garam masala, cumin, and salt into your slow cooker. Stir until combined. Place chicken into the tomato mixture. Make sure the chicken is well coated. Cover and set on low. Cook for 6 hours. Uncover and stir. It is okay if the chicken begins to break apart. Stir in the sour cream and quinoa. Cover and cook for another hour. Stir before serving. Top with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment