Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Veggie Chili Wraps/ Enchiladas

  So, there was a slight deviation from my weekly menu.  This happens sometimes when one forgets a key ingredient, item, or just doesn't feel like making the originally planned entree.  No need to stress or order take-out!  Just improvise.  If you read my weekly menu post, you may have noted and been hoping for a simple recipe utilizing wraps. Do not fret my dear(s) or whomever might be reading this blog, I will lead you in my thinking.  This weekend, I ran out of my stand-by gluten free wraps.  This was after the Bear (my husband) and I had taken our weekly trip to the grocery store.  Being it was Tuesday and I pre-made my veggie chili on Sunday, I simply forgot that the gluten free wraps were consumed on Saturday.  Thus, I had corn tortillas and a can of gluten-free enchilada sauce.  FYI, for those on a gluten free diet, Old El Paso finally listed what "modified food starch" they use...drum roll please...corn starch!  A winner if you can consume corn products!  So, I wrapped my veggie chili in my corn tortillas, topped with my enchilada sauce, baked at 350 degrees in the oven for 30 minutes, and topped them with some sour cream and jalapenos.  The Bear still had his version, only with a flour tortilla.  All is good in the Nickel house.  You too can enjoy these wraps, tortillas, or even turn them into a lovely chili inspired lasagna and layer your tortillas with some cheese if you so choose.  Let this veggie chili be your inexpensive culinary canvas for dinner in the very near future!

Veggie Chili Wraps (original recipe, minus Sara's extra improvising:))

Non-stick cooking spray
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pressed garlic clove
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1 dash cinnamon
1 coarsely chopped, small carrot (or 10 chopped baby carrots)
1 coarsely chopped stalk of celery
1 15 oz. can Great Northern beans, or any other white bean on sale
1 7 1/4 oz. can diced tomatoes with chilies (such as Rotel)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Tortillas or wraps (I would suggest something high in fiber, check the nutritional value before purchasing)
Sour cream (I use fat-free sour cream from Target.  It is the Market Pantry brand, they have the modified food starch listed)
Shredded cheddar cheese (again, I use the Market Pantry brand because they list the modified food starch)
Jalapenos (if you dare)

Spray a large pot or Dutch oven with non-stick cooking spray.  Add the oil and heat the pot over medium heat.  Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery.  Stir occasionally and cook until softened (about 7-9 minutes). Add your spices, beans, and tomatoes.  Stir and reduce heat.  Simmer, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes to an hour.  This mixture will be thick.  This is so you can later scoop it into your wraps.

Spread 3/4 cup of the chili into the center of a wrap.  Top with 1 tablespoon sour cream and cheese, wrap and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment