Friday, September 7, 2012

My New Favorites Menu Post

I know it's Friday. Typically, a little early for my weekend menu posting. To explain, I got home a little earlier than normal due to a power outage at school. This seems to happen quite a bit whenever it storms. It wasn't really a major thunderstorm or anything. The sky had been turning pretty dark all afternoon. Then, just as kids were getting ready to get on buses the lights flickered and we lost all electricity. Due to the frequent power outages, the kids typically associate any storm with either a tornado or blizzard. Which makes me laugh. Two years ago, this really did happen. We had several major snow storms and then a tornado that spring. Normally, the weather isn't as problematic; however, it traumatized the kids enough to become pretty concerned about the weather. Not to mention that my little urban friends are worst case scenario thinkers by nature. So, I always tell them that no matter what, we survived and had plans in place to keep everyone safe. I always promise them that we will do the same every single time.

Regardless, I would have most likely posted the menu a little early this week because I am just too excited. This week I've taken some of my favorite stand-by dishes and recreated them into a whole different recipe. For example, Sunday I plan to take one of my favorite dips, spinach artichoke dip, and stuff it in a chicken breast. But like the Sham Wow guy, I'm not stopping there! Oh no! I'm also taking one of my favorite appetizer toppings and serving it over the stuffed chicken. It is pretty much like eating at a gluten-free, healthier, TGI Fridays right?! On Monday and Tuesday, I hope to take some of the essential ingredients in both my Smoky Bean & Soyrizo Burritos and Soyrizo Chili Mac by creating a tamale pie. Don't worry, most of the ingredients you can prepare over the weekend so all you have to do is assemble and bake. No stress! Midweek, I have another wonderful wrap recipe with a few of my favorite ingredients- turkey, brie, and apples. Finally, I'm taking my Papa Chris Burger to another level with gluten-free onion rings. Shut the front door! This week is going to be good!

Sunday 9/9          Spinach & Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Topped with Bruschetta

Monday 9/10       Smoky Chili Tamale Pie

Tuesday 9/11       Left-overs

Wednesday 9/12  Turkey, Apple, & Brie Wraps

Thursday 9/13      Left-overs

Friday 9/14 or      "Gouda" Have This Burger with Gluten-Free Onion Rings
Saturday 9/15

Here is what you will need:

1/2 lb. 80% lean ground beef
1/2 lb. 90% lean ground beef
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 package deli turkey (I use Oscar Myer's Deli Fresh)
1 large sweet potato
1 granny smith apple
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch chives
1 bunch fresh basil
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley
1 head garlic
3 yellow or white onions
1/4 lb. smoked Gouda cheese
1 wheel brie cheese
4 oz. goat cheese
1 package shredded Parmesan cheese
1 package 2% cheddar cheese
1 pakcage 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 container fat-free or light sour cream
1 pint low fat buttermilk
1 container egg substitute
1 package soyrizo (for example Melissa's brand)
1 package rice noodles
1 package gluten-free wraps (for example Sandwich Petals)
1 package gluten-free buns
1 14.5 oz. can chili ready diced tomatoes
2 14.5 oz. cans great northern beans
1 can artichoke hears
1 can tomato paste
1 box frozen spinach
1 box corn flake cereal
1 canister corn meal
Dijon mustard
Apple cider vinegar
Honey
Garlic powder
Cayenne pepper
Bay leaf
Smoked paprika
Chili powder
Cumin
Oregano

 Have a great weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment