Friday, September 21, 2012

Fall Favorites Menu Post

Saturday we can all officially welcome fall! I'm hoping maybe I can drag my husband out to the Plaza Art Fair to enjoy the amazing weather this weekend. It has been a couple of years since I took him on a cultural tour and normally I can get him to enjoy an art fair once we are there. It's the getting him there part that is difficult. We rarely go downtown due to traffic and parking. I've managed many a shopping excursion to H & M on several girly outings with no problems. Except the one time I attempted to park in a compact car parking spot and scratched my driver's side mirror. My car maybe compact, but my parking skills are not. Really though, Kansas City is a pretty manageable city to get around. I think it must have to do with parking in a parking ramp or something. The Bear just seems to freak out a little when we venture out of the suburbs. Such is life:)

I've been seeing a lot lately on blogs asking about what people enjoy most about fall. I, for starters, love the cooler weather. Then I love all of the following in no particular hierarchy of importance- sweaters, pumpkins, candy corn mixed with peanuts and M & M's, Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin candles from White Barn Candle Company, apple cider, Thanksgiving, and butternut squash. These are all things that make me love fall. This week's menu is a second tribute to easing into fall menu planning. I plan to start the week off with a lovely chicken with white wine sauce. Midweek we will cozy up to a light and healthy butternut squash lasagna which for a family of two will take us through most of the work week. Later, I hope to share a personal family favorite- my dad's cheese bread. It's all cozy and family in the Nickel house. Here is the rundown:

Sunday 9/23          Chicken with Chardonnay Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, & Acorn Squash

Monday 9/24         Left-overs

Tuesday 9/25         Butternut Squash Lasagna with Salad

Wednesday 9/26    Left-overs

Thursday 9/27        Left-overs (it's just me unless I venture out to the slow pitch fields:))

Friday 9/28 or        Steak, Papa Chris Cheese Bread, & Spinach Salad
Saturday 9/29

Here is what you will need:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. flank steak (or other lean cut you enjoy)
1 bag spinach
1 yellow or white onion
1 lb. potatoes
2 lemons
1 box brown rice lasagna noodles
1 bag gluten free rolls &/or regular rolls
1 box frozen spinach
2 boxes frozen winter squash (butternut squash that has already been pureed)
1 container grated Parmesan cheese
2 8 oz. boxes of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 container part skim ricotta cheese
1 bag shredded 2% mozzarella cheese
1 bag shredded 2% cheddar cheese
1 pint 2% milk
1 box butter
1 bottle chardonnay

Pantry items you will need:

Fresh garlic
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
Mayonnaise
Dijon mustard
White wine vinegar



No comments:

Post a Comment