Saturday, June 16, 2012

Menu Post & Construction Update

Today has been a productive day!  I've added 19 recipes to my Recipage so far.  I'm planning on slowly continuing to add them throughout the next few days.  Then, it will be much easier to maintain as I add this week's recipes and future dishes.  The only problem, it doesn't look very good.  My next item to work on is designing a new banner for both this sight and my Recipage.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!  I am not very tech savvy.  Recipage is now accessible, but please excuse the nakedness:)

On to the menu.  This week I am keeping things very simple and light.  Friday we will be attending the Lenexa BBQ Festival, so we need to eat pretty light this week in order to maintain our efforts to continue slimming down and shaping up.  There is a good balance of veggies, protein, and simplicity that everyone needs throughout the week.  Here is the rundown:

Sunday 6/17        Steak Sandwiches with Corn Mayo and Sweet Potato Fries

Monday 6/18       Left-overs

Tuesday 6/19       Peanut Chicken with Rice

Wednesday 6/20  Left-overs

Thursday 6/21      Lightened Up Cobb Salad

Friday 6/22          Lenexa BBQ Festival

Saturday 6/23      Herbed Chicken with Grilled Veggies

Groceries you will need:

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 pound steak (your favorite cut)
1 container deli turkey
1 container deli ham
1 bag sandwich rolls (gluten-free or regular)
1 bunch celery
1 red pepper
1 cucumber
1 zucchini
1 onion
1-2 sweet potatoes
1 head garlic
1-2 tomatoes
1 avocado
1 bunch green onions
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch chives
1 bag romaine lettuce
1 can water chestnuts
1 can bamboo shoots
1 box reduced sodium chicken broth
1 bag brown rice
1 container honey roasted peanuts
1 bag frozen broccoli florets
1 bag frozen corn
1 pint buttermilk
1 container fat-free or light sour cream
1 bag 2% shredded cheddar cheese

Pantry items you will need if you do not have them:

Olive oil
Light mayonnaise
Red wine vinegar
White wine vinegar
Soy sauce
Italian herb mix or Herbes de Provence
Cornstarch

In other Nickel news, I met with a personal trainer on Friday.  I was entered into a raffle last week and won!  How often does that happen?  It was an eye opening experience.  I always thought of myself to be in fairly good shape, but discovered that there is a lot I could be doing better to make my workouts more efficient and get faster results.  I am a total cardio junkie.  Weightlifting has always been somewhat intimidating to me.  Not because of bulking up, but just feeling awkward.  Not to mention that the weight section is always filled with big guys and smells like cabbage.  No worries about machinery and feeling awkward though.  Turns out I need to be working more with conditioning my muscles to my own body weight before I start any machines.  We worked on warming up with some interval training on the treadmill.  Then did a series of squats, push-ups, and sit ups starting with 10 reps.  We repeated the series 10, 9, 8, and so forth to one.  Then I worked on a couple of sets of squats using a light bar to get myself used to future bar work.  We ended the session with one pull-up machine that targets most of your upper body areas.  She suggested working for a couple of weeks with this routine three times per week in combination with my current cardio routine until my next session.  I am totally sore today, but in all of the right places.  If you ever have a chance to work with a trainer, I highly suggest it!  I am looking forward to my future sessions.  I hope you all are having a great weekend!  And, if you have any suggestions or tips for designing a blog banner, please feel free to comment.  I need all the help I can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment