Sunday, November 10, 2013

Light White Cheddar Cheese & Broccoli Soup

Well it has been day one on the Weight Watchers plan. So far things are going pretty good. From what I remember from the old points system, I was always starving the first few days. This usually sabotaged my plan unless I had jars of pickles, salsa, and celery around. This time around though, I am not nearly as hungry. Truthfully, I've felt quite satisfied. I know it is not going to be as easy on the weekends, but I think with some careful planning and budgeting it should not be as big a problem. I'm hoping this is going to be a good thing:) Especially when I have soup like this to enjoy.


I love foods that taste indulgent, but are still relatively good for you. Broccoli cheese soup is one of my favorites. This version I created utilizes bold cheddar flavors, but with fewer calories. Here I used light white cheddar cheese in the soup and garnished it with a sprinkle of regular shredded 2% cheddar. For only 4 points per 1 1/2 cups that is one heck of a bargain.

Light White Cheddar Cheese and Broccoli Soup
Makes 6 1 1/2 cup servings for 4 Weight Watchers Points

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 small yellow or white onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
4 cups reduced sodium, gluten-free chicken broth
1 box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
2 cups 2% milk
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup shredded light white cheddar cheese

Melt the olive oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the chicken broth. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir constantly until the soup begins to thicken and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment