Sunday, November 24, 2013

GF Deep Dish Cheeseburger Pizza

Hello! The long break from blogging was not intentional. After last weekend's super sister weekend, I could feel myself coming down with a bug while traveling to Wichita this weekend. It has been non-stop around the Nickel house, but know that some well needed downtime is on the way. I cannot wait for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, as I catch up on blogging from The Very Thankful Menu Post today, I plan to share some great uses for all of that leftover turkey. We smoked Sven the II last weekend with no regrets and have been enjoying the leftovers ever since. It was hard to beat last year's Lean and Mean Smoked Turkey Chili  and my BBQ Smoked Turkey Enchiladas. This year's leftovers are not only geared towards a gluten-free lifestyle, but also will be Weight Watchers friendly. The Weight Watchers plan is going fabulously and I am down 7 lbs! Not a shabby way to start the holidays eh? 

Now onto The Very Thankful Menu Post's final recipe, Gluten Free Deep Dish Cheeseburger Pizza. In honor of the blog hitting over 30,000+ page views and our wedding anniversary, the Bear purchased me a huge cast iron skillet. Once I seasoned that puppy up, the first thing I made was an awesome gluten-free deep dish pizza. Then, the next weekend I made another. Don't worry, I will share these little gems with you very soon. It took a little fine tuning to get the crust just right. For my super sister weekend, I knew I had to come up with yet another fun, deep dish recipe, but wanted to also make it somewhat Weight Watchers friendly and not too overly indulgent. I think I nailed this one folks! Check out this little beaut. 


A perfectly golden and tender crust with amazingly cheesy burgery flavor. This may look incredibly un-Weight Watcher's friendly, but it is not. From my other deep dish recipes I made, I scaled down on the dough and used very lean ground beef. This made eight lovely servings for only 9 points per slice.

Gluten-Free Deep Dish Cheeseburger Pizza
Serves 8, 9 WW points per slice

For the crust:
1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Bisquick
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs, beaten

For the toppings:
1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
2 tablespoons dried chopped onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
1/4 cup sliced pickles
1 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese (divided)
Additional pickles, ketchup, and mustard for garnish (optional)

Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large dish, whisk together the water, olive oil, melted butter, and eggs until combined. Add the Bisquick and stir until thoroughly combined. Spread crust mixture into a 10-inch seasoned cast iron skillet. The crust may be a little sticky, but there is no need to worry. If you have a little trouble spreading the mixture into the skillet, just lightly wet your hands and use your fingers to press the mixture into the skillet to form a crush. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, simply spray a 9-10 inch pie tine with non-stick cooking spray and press the crust into the pie tin. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the shredded 2% cheddar onto the crust. Set aside.

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onions. Stirring occasionally to break up the meat, brown for 5-6 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink. Add the ketchup, mustard, and BBQ sauce. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle the meat mixture over the cheese and crust. Arrange the pickles over the meat layer. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is melted and begins to bubble. Remove from oven. Let set for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. You can use additional pickles, ketchup, and mustard for garnish if you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment