Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Curried Pineapple and Pepper Chicken with Rice

I don't know if I've told too many teaching stories on this blog, but today I have a good one. Trust me it's worth sharing. To fill you in a little, I teach special education in an urban school. While I work with children who have special needs, I try to include them in their classrooms as much as possible. I accomplish this through co-teaching. It takes a lot of work, a lot of time, and building trust with classroom teachers. The best part, I see a lot of growth in my students towards meeting their individual goals. I also love it because I get to meet so many students and see so many different classrooms. Today was one of those days the kids just made me laugh. Yes, flat out, I could not contain myself laugh. They were too cute. One little boy in particular, whose name will remain anonymous, just went to the top of the charts. I was sitting by one of my students helping him with a problem and he said, "You look like you need a massage Mrs. Nickel." Not being one to turn down a massage, I said "okay." He started karate chopping my shoulders and back. Then, he stopped and started telling me about his dream. Since the professional development training we had on 8 to Great, I've been talking a lot to the kids about what their dream is and what they want to do. It has been quite motivating for the kids and has helped me use it as a tool to get them motivated to do their work. Anyway the boy said, "Did I tell you Mrs. Nickel I want to own a spa?" I said, "No, but tell me more." "Well, Mrs. Nickel it will have everything. Massages, paint, chapstick, lipstick, paint to paint your nails. I'll be the owner and manager. I'm going to charge people I know $2.00. For people I don't know, I'll charge them a $1.99." Baffled I asked, "Why are you charging the people you know $2.00 and the people you don't know a $1.99?" He simply replied, "Mrs. Nickel I have to have a way to lure them in!" Quite the entrepreneur! It has been so long since I've laughed like that. He was just too cute!

I don't know what effect this 8 to Great stuff is having on me, but I'll take it. It's making me feel more positive, emotionally heal, and getting me to work towards my inspiration- this blog. On to tonight's recipe Curried Pineapple and Pepper Chicken with Rice. I think you will like this.


I did not have very much time to get dinner ready this evening due to an orthodontist appointment. Dr. Carter keeps telling me we're getting closer and closer to these darn braces coming off. I hope so. I feel like they are becoming a permanent fixture to my smile. Regardless, the meal came together before the 6 o'clock news was over. Not too shabby.  

Curried Pineapple and Pepper Chicken and Rice

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. stir-fry chicken strips
1 red onion, cut into large chunks
1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
1 green pepper, cut into large chunks
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1 15 oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
4 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped (optional)

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook another 5-6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the red onion and peppers. Cook, stirring every so often, for 5-6 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Add the spices and pineapple chunks. Toss until combine. Serve over 1 cup hot cooked brown rice. Garnish with cilantro if you choose.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! That's too cute! I like the discount for the first time customer. :)

    ReplyDelete