Friday, May 24, 2013

Summer Begins Menu Post

Hello sweet friends! I cannot believe this weekend is the unofficial start to summer. Just in time too, as today is sort of the start to my summer vacation!!!! Okay, I still have to go into work this afternoon. My colleague and I volunteered ourselves to help finalize our building's schedule. Scheduling is always a beast. We decided if it was one thing we could get out of the way to ease up the transition back to school in August than we might as well get it over with before we totally check out for the summer. Never a bad thing.

I don't know about you, but I am trying to unwind a little from the whirlwind of the school year. Life is not slowing down though, and I am surly not complaining. I LOVE the start of summer. My dad and step-mom are coming to visit this weekend to celebrate the Bear's birthday. Monday is not only Memorial Day, but also Justin's birthday. Since we've been out-of-town every other weekend since March, the house and pantry are a bit of a disaster. There is a hodgepodge of items that desperately need to be used up before they start to grow something funky on them. I've also got to get something lined up in the form of a birthday cake. With that being said, I have a menu planned; however, a grocery list is not included because I need to rummage through everything so I'm not purchasing more stuff than what we need. Do not fret! My attention will be shifting this week back to many blog posts with wonderful summer recipes. I hope you have not lost all faith. A Nickel's Worth of fabulousness is back!!! Here is the rundown:

Sunday 5/26          Grilled Chicken Thai Salad with Grilled Pineapple

Monday 5/27        Hawaiian Chicken Burgers with Veggies, Black Bean Hummus, & Sweet Potato Fries

Tuesday 5/28        Leftovers

Wednesday 5/29  Grilled Salmon Skewers with Greek Quinoa Salad

Thursday 5/30      Leftovers

Friday 5/31 or      Taco Pizza
Saturday 6/1

I know this menu does not make a whole lot of sense, but neither does my pantry right now. To explain, I am hoping we have some leftover grilled chicken for Sunday's meal. I've also purchased and planted most of my fresh herbs to grow over the summer. I am just giddy to start using them, especially for the Thai salad. We also have more chicken in the freezer for my experimentation with the Hawaiian chicken recipe that I thought would be fabulous in the form of a burger. Plus, you can't celebrate Memorial Day without a burger or something that you throw on the grill. I also hope to post my special Black Forest Cupcakes as a bonus for the Bear's birthday. There is a special story connected to these delicious beauties that I cannot wait to share with you. As always all recipes will be gluten-free and healthy! Stay tuned my friends! It is going to be an awesome start to summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment