Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Gluten-Free Lemon Bars

Something about birthdays makes me want to make lots of desserts. First there were the Gluten-Free Black Forest Cupcakes earlier this week. Now, I've made lemon bars. I am beginning to think I am becoming more and more domesticated every day.

To be honest, the only other lemon bars I had ever made in my life were whatever came out of the box. This was before my gluten free days. Of course, before going gluten free I didn't like desserts because they made my stomach turn, causing me hours of gut pain later. So, when the Bear requested lemon bars I told him I had to think about it. I almost grabbed for the box, but then did a little research. I wanted to enjoy these bars too!


Had I ever known how incredibly easy lemon bars are to make, I never would have used the box brand in the first place. Knowing I can make these bars gluten-free is even better. Lemon bars are the perfect summer treat. Bursting with sunshiny citrus and a tender shortbread crust, you will want to make these Gluten-Free Lemon Bars for your next summer get together.

Gluten-Free Lemon Bars
adapted from Betty Crocker

For the crust:
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cup gluten-free sugar cookie mix (I used Full Circle brand)

For the filling:
1 1/4 cup sugar
Zest of 4 lemons
Juice of 4 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
3 eggs, plus 1 egg white
1/4 cup gluten-free sugar cookie mix (I used Full Circle brand)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch by 9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the butter and sugar cookie mix until combine. Press the mix into the baking pan. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs, egg white, and sugar cookie mix. Mix until smooth. Pour over the hot crust. Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until no longer jiggly in the center. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting and serving. You can lightly dust the tops with powdered sugar for decoration.


No comments:

Post a Comment