Thursday, April 25, 2013

White Bean Chili

I know it is crazy. Crazy that I am posting a chili recipe and it is the end of April. The temperatures until today though, have not felt much like April. For quite some time now, I've been wondering if spring is ever going to truly arrive. Even my health took a turn for the worst. I've been home the last two and half days with sinus troubles and bronchitis. The sinus infection doesn't surprise me. The bronchitis does. I've not really had much of a cough at all, but what feels like a fat cat sitting on my chest. Chili has not been such a bad thing this week.


The forecast is looking up and I am recovering. Maybe spring has arrived and this is the last of the soup recipes. Actually it's not, I have a little something up my sleeve for next week.

This chili is anything but your typical chili recipe. White beans replace the traditional kidney beans with ground turkey substituting for beef. The flavorful twist that has my mouth watering, salsa verde. If you are looking for a great meal to pack for lunch, this White Bean Chili is it!

White Bean Chili
inspired by Weight Watchers

1 lb. ground turkey
1 yellow or white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
32 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth
1 7 oz. can salsa verde
1 cup frozen corn
1 15 oz. can great norther beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
Zest of one lime
Juice of one lime
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the turkey and onions. Cook for 10 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally to crumble the meat. Add the turkey mixture and remaining ingredients to the cilantro to a slow cooker. Cover and cook over low heat for 4-6 hours. Add the cilantro when ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment