Sunday, April 21, 2013

Quinoa-Chickpea Salad

I don't know if my cold is causing me to be uber forgetful or if it is being out of the food photography routine; but, this picture almost didn't happen. I fixed my salad, sat down, started eating, and then mid-bite realized that I hadn't taken the picture. I also forgot to add the Italian flat leaf parsley. Monday might be a little rough. Ha!


Had I remembered I was going to take a picture, it would be a lot prettier. I think it still looks pretty good though don't you think? This meal was the perfect light dinner to end a beautiful spring weekend. Quinoa gives the salad a unique flavor and texture. The chickpeas, chicken, and zucchini give the salad enough bulk leaving you satisfied. It is a complete meal in a bowl.

Quinoa-Chickpea Salad
inspired by Weight Watchers

1 cup cooked quinoa
2 4 oz. grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded or chopped
1 medium sized zucchini, chopped
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs or herbes de Provence
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, toss the quinoa, chicken, zucchini, chickpeas, and cranberries until combined. Set aside. In a small dish, whisk the olive oil, mustard, herbs, vinegar, salt and pepper until smooth and combine. Drizzle over the salad. Toss until evenly coated and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment