Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hello Saturday Menu Post

I feel somewhat guilty for not having a post in two and half weeks. So sorry dear readers! Looking back since the beginning of this sweet blog, April has always been a hit and miss kind of month. "What has been keeping you so busy?" one reader and friend asked. Life is my reply. When you teach special education, April is a month packed with testing kiddos, meetings, and wrapping things up for the year. I'm not complaining. I love what I do. It's just the way it is. But, alas my immune system is starting to take a bit of a toll with seasonal allergies and sinus issues reminding me to slow down. So, this weekend I plan to do what I love when I slow down- sleep in, relax, blog, and squeeze in a little shopping therapy:)

I've been keeping things pretty simple around the kitchen. With my efforts to maintain the Drop 10 challenge, I'm down eight pounds!! I am very pleased and can envision the light at the end of the tunnel. I have put forth a little more effort than usual, but have to say that it is the easiest plan ever and I'm not starving. I actually eat more. Unlike last year, I am not burnt out on quinoa, chicken, and greens. I have learned from my past mistakes. Yes, there has been a lot of quinoa. What I've learned is it is all in how you vary the flavors and change things up. With that being said, here is a peak at this week's menu:

Sunday 4/21          Quinoa-Chickpea Salad with Grilled Chicken

Monday 4/22         Sloppy Lou's with Veggies & Chips

Tuesday 4/23         Leftovers

Wednesday 4/24    White Bean Chili with Chips & Queso

Thursday 4/25        Leftovers

Friday 4/26            Out

Here is what you will need to make these tasty dishes:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 zucchini
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley
1 bulb garlic
3 small yellow or white onions
1 bunch green onions
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 lime
1 bag baby carrots
1 bunch celery
1 bag dried lentils
1 can artichoke hears (packed in water)
1 can great northern beans
1 can chickpeas
1 can salsa verde
1 can tomato paste
1 box reduced sodium chicken broth
1 bag dried cranberries
1 bag English walnuts
1 bag gluten free buns or regular whole wheat buns
1 bag sweet potato chips
1 bag tortilla chips
1 bag frozen corn
1 container Greek yogurt
1 8 oz. box 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 bag shredded 2% cheddar
1 small block feta cheese

Pantry items you will need:
ketchup
Dijon mustard
white wine or champagne vinegar
apple cider vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
dried Italian herbs
chili powder
ground cumin
dried oregano
Worcestershire sauce
brown sugar
salt
pepper

Can you believe it's been chilly enough in April this year to even be thinking about making a pot of chili? If soup season is not over, I'll keep making it! Soup is so easy to make ahead and reheat throughout the week. I hope you have a super Saturday! On a side note, I commend the Boston PD. I was on the edge of my seat last night watching all of the action. Rightly so, they did not mess around! I think the entire country feels a lot safer today. Many thanks to all police, fire, and emergency crews that help keep our cities safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment