Sunday, January 6, 2013

Scrambled Tofu Enchiladas

I've been a power house in the kitchen today! Breakfast for the week, done. Lunch for the week, done. Dinners for a majority of the week, done. Photos for future posting throughout the week, done. I've also prepped a few things and froze them for next week's menu. With grocery prices slowly on the incline, I've been finding it helpful to stretch my ingredients such as meat by bulking up on veggies in my recipes. For example, the Italian turkey sausage I bought came in a 16 oz. tube. I went ahead and cooked the entire tube, but split half for this week's pizza which is also topped with peppers and fennel, and am storing the other half for next week since we will be out of town over the weekend. Same with some of my chicken. I cut two of the four breasts into bite size pieces for the roasted tomato and zucchini dish and froze the other two for next week. It just makes sense, saves us money, and me a lot of time.

Since I've been such a power house today, I thought it might be fun to share a bonus recipe with you all. Over the holiday break, I stumbled upon a tofu scramble. I made it last week for my morning eats. It was pretty good, but I thought I could elevate it by turning it into breakfast enchiladas. I am not one who really eats a lot of sweets in the morning. Plus, cereal never fills me up and yogurt makes me feel empty by 9:00 a.m. I usually make some sort of egg casserole, but I'm kind of maxed out on egg casserole for now. I think this Scrambled Tofu Enchilada recipe will do the trick. Not to mention that my breakfast is ready for the entire week.


Green pepper, onion, zucchini, and black beans are scrambled with tofu seasoned with a southwestern kick. I then wrapped the scramble in stone ground corn tortillas and topped with enchilada sauce and mild cheddar cheese. It is a breakfast worth shouting ole!

Scrambled Tofu Enchiladas
adapted from Bon Appetite's Tofu Scramble

1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small zucchini, finely chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14 oz. block extra-firm lite tofu
4 tablespoons taco seasoning (I used Penzy's)
12 stone ground corn tortillas
1 28 oz. can enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso as it is wheat free)
1 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese

Place the tofu on a plate lined with two layers of paper towels to absorb excess liquid. Using a fork, smash the tofu. Let set for a few minutes so the paper towels can absorb more of the liquid.

While the tofu is draining, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add the onion and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened (about 3-4 minutes). Add the beans, tofu, and taco seasoning. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9' x 13' casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Place the tortillas on a plate. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 2 minutes or until the tortillas are pliable enough in which to work. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the tofu scramble onto a tortilla. Wrap and place seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle the cheese over the enchiladas and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Makes 6 servings, 2 enchiladas a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment